alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial filing down the cam track
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 23, 2019, 03:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: filing down the cam track  (Read 8999 times)
alantani
admin
Administrator

« on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

Mr Tani is there a way to alter the drag ramp on a BX2 500 without adverse side affects?  With my reel set at 10 pounds at strike it's at 25 on full. I would like to get 10 strike with 20 full if possible.

Thanks for your trouble

Chad

you can, but it would involve filing the cam track down by hand.  conceptually easy, but very tedious to do.  it would require disassembly perhaps 5-10 times to get it just right.  here is the schematic for the bx2 500  http://www.accuratefishing.com/pdfs/bx2.ipb.pdf

find the cam track (key #25), the tension cam (key #27), and most importantly the tension cam pins (key #28).  when you rotate the main lever arm (key #21), the cam track rotates and pushes against the tension cam pins and puts pressure against the entire cam sub-assembly (key #60). this, in turn, increases the pressure of the against the metal drag washers (key #48) against the fiber drag washers (key #37). 

what you will have to do is find the two points at which the cam pins come in contact with the cam track at both strike and full.  now you will have to take a hand file and VERY CAREFULLY file down the cam track between those points.  the way these cam tracks come from the factory (and how they behave in your reel), is to go from 10 pounds at strike to 25 pounds at full.  that represents a pretty steep ramp.  you want to file away equally at both sides of the cam track so that the ramp is not so steep.  don't remove any metal from the cam track at the "strike" position.  the new "ramp" from strike to full has to be perfectly straight and symmetrical, just not so steep.  you will have to then reassemble the reel and see what the decrease is. 

clear as mud, huh......

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

jeez, it makes me feel so old when they call me "mister."......   Grin

johndtuttle
Sensei

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »

jeez, it makes me feel so old when they call me "mister."......   Grin

Just wait till they start calling you Gramps!  Cheesy
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

yeah, i'll take my time on that one.

daddyhoit

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »

There is a pre-tension washer on the left end of the spool. They come in three different thicknesses. If you lucky you will have a thicker one, then just buy a thinner one and adjust from there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: