Penn Spinfisher max drag?

Started by Irish Jigger, February 20, 2013, 09:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

What is the maximum drag a 7500SS with naval brass main and stainless steel pinion gearing is capable of producing? 

Alto Mare

Tom, you won't find much information on those. I read somewhere that the max was 14lb (not from Penn), but don't remember where. Way under rated if you ask me, probably by someone that couldn't get rid of his reels :-\.
In my own opinion, the 750ss can handle 20lb. Change the drag knob to the new style, item # 52N750 and you shouldn't have any issues.
I exchanged a couple of emails with Alan Hawk on these, a while back. He said the 750ss was a workhorse of a reel, the weakest part were the dogs. He also mentioned that the new Torque is very similar to the ss model, except fo the upgrades of course.

Another thing I want to mention is that the 750ss is not a smooth as silk reel, But, the way it feels to you when you first use it, is the way is going to feel after 50+ years ;)
As you know, I have many of those, I just cleaned up a bit and got rid of a few with the aluminum gears...not that they're bad.
Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Thank's Sal,I am selling one with the brass gears and wanted to advise the buyer as to it's maximum drag. I am sure it would benefit from an upgrade or two as there may be a lot expected of it.  ;)

Alto Mare

I just want to point out that we're talking max drags. That reel is very happy at 15lb.
By the way, I've seen some bring in fish over 100lb with a stock 650ss  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

15 lbs sounds great, I know I won't be happy (my back that is) at any more than this. A man needs to know his limitations, at least on the water :D

Alto Mare

Just make sure you replace both teflon washers with carbon fiber washers, the one on top and the one at the bottom of the spool.
Paal, you will probably hear different answers about how much drag the 750ss can take, I've been there before. My answer to you isn't from the internet,  it's from personal experience.
This is one reel that is underrated. If you've never opened one up, you will see what I'm talking about, when you do.
Good luck with it, I believe you made a good choice.
Buying it from Tom was also a good move, I'm sure that reel will be in top shape, almost as good as if you would have purchased it from me ;D. Sorry Tom, I had to put that in there ;D
Sal

Irish Jigger

Sal,it's a nice reel  although I suppose it would be a little better if you had given it the once over by adding SS dogs etc. ;D
I have never used it and would rather someone put it to good use than having it sitting here in a box .
It's going to a good home and will be doing what these Penn's were designed for,catching fish.

paal

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 20, 2013, 09:27:23 PM
Just make sure you replace both teflon washers with carbon fiber washers, the one on top and the one at the bottom of the spool.
Paal, you will probably hear different answers about how much drag the 750ss can take, I've been there before. My answer to you isn't from the internet,  it's from personal experience.
This is one reel that is underrated. If you've never opened one up, you will see what I'm talking about, when you do.
Good luck with it, I believe you made a good choice.
Buying it from Tom was also a good move, I'm sure that reel will be in top shape, almost as good as if you would have purchased it from me ;D. Sorry Tom, I had to put that in there ;D
Sal
Yes, Tom is a good guy. I'm very happy that I could buy from him and not from a random person on ebay :)
Thanks for the advice! I looked at the replacement washers on Mikes site, and I think I have a few of those HT100's already. Other than that, I think I will just buy a pair of spare dogs while they are still available, and just enjoy using this piece of fishing history on my expeditions up north. There's very little swimming in my local waters anymore that is worthy this reel. It's a pitty, because we even had bluefin tuna runs in the summer....

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 21, 2013, 12:49:12 AM
Sal,it's a nice reel  although I suppose it would be a little better if you had given it the once over by adding SS dogs etc. ;D
I have never used it and would rather someone put it to good use than having it sitting here in a box .
It's going to a good home and will be doing what these Penn's were designed for,catching fish.

Thanks Tom! :)

Rivverrat

To save some one from doing the inevitable.....  I AM VERY AWARE THIS IS AN OLD THREAD !

With that out of the way.

Does any one still have stainless dogs or drag washer upgrades for these reels. Also what spare parts would be good to have on hand ? ...Jeff

Three se7ens

I have a 16 tooth titanium ratchet and dog kit available for the 750ss/850ss and 9500ss.  I cant seem to find any of the old threads about it though.

The kit changes both dogs to sprung though, so if you like it quiet, you wont like this.

Rivverrat

Adam I sent you a PM.... Jeff