Sabre Stroker or Uglystik Tiger Lite???

Started by WCFLA, March 01, 2013, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCFLA

Doradoben,

Thank you so much for the info. I have been wanting to know what I have. I am looking for a Baja Special or something similar to put on it. I will post photos of it once I have it rigged and ready to go.

Regards,
Dan

woodeye

Yeah, Those were sweet Sabres. I picked up several of the Sabre Californians around 1983-5, a couple of which had the STROKER designation. The orange and brown wrap and pattern are slightly different from the series you have. The one you have were made around 1974/5-1980ish, if I'm not mistaken. The rod Sea Angler has may possibly be in a true Collector Status. It's earlier than either of our series, but is not a "Chocolate" Sabre. The Chocolates were a dark brown blank that could have been made by Hershey's Chocolate Factory and made of a resin called Nypoxy made by Du pont (The boys that mass produced Napalm for use in Vietnam (And Napalm was Jellied Gasoline!))and stated, "NYPOXY by Du Pont" near the Sabre Logo and model number and specs, just forward of the handle. I notice two things about this rod. It had the earliest "Sabre" Logo on it and the blank is close to the reddish/medium brown and fiberglass mesh pattern of a SILAFLEX, or many of the KENCOR blanks of the day. The Red/Brown semi translucent blanks were almost a SILAFLEX trademark, just as the "chocolate" and later the "honey-gold" blanks were a Sabre thing. I don't even recognize the wrap that is on that rod, but it's interesting that they used that shade of blank.. Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of using 50lb test, at least.

LTM

WCFLA,

Good score! Its definitely a Sabre rod, and good for a conservative 30/40# line. Have fun with it.

Leo

SoCalAngler

Quote from: woodeye on December 14, 2013, 02:01:52 AM
Yeah, Those were sweet Sabres. I picked up several of the Sabre Californians around 1983-5, a couple of which had the STROKER designation. The orange and brown wrap and pattern are slightly different from the series you have. The one you have were made around 1974/5-1980ish, if I'm not mistaken. The rod Sea Angler has may possibly be in a true Collector Status. It's earlier than either of our series, but is not a "Chocolate" Sabre. The Chocolates were a dark brown blank that could have been made by Hershey's Chocolate Factory and made of a resin called Nypoxy made by Du pont (The boys that mass produced Napalm for use in Vietnam (And Napalm was Jellied Gasoline!))and stated, "NYPOXY by Du Pont" near the Sabre Logo and model number and specs, just forward of the handle. I notice two things about this rod. It had the earliest "Sabre" Logo on it and the blank is close to the reddish/medium brown and fiberglass mesh pattern of a SILAFLEX, or many of the KENCOR blanks of the day. The Red/Brown semi translucent blanks were almost a SILAFLEX trademark, just as the "chocolate" and later the "honey-gold" blanks were a Sabre thing. I don't even recognize the wrap that is on that rod, but it's interesting that they used that shade of blank.. Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid of using 50lb test, at least.

Took my rod down to the Calstar factory and talked with Leon Todd, his wife Pat and their son John. Come to find out my rod is a Super Sabre since the model is in the 5000's. Here is the same rod just in different lighting and as you can see the Nypoxy lable. It also says above the Nypoxy lable, Dupont Nylon-Epoxy and below, Glass.

Edit: Oh, and by the way it is factory wrapped, I thought it may have been rewrapped.

woodeye

Also, it seems to me you said something about a kayak. Personally, when I fished off a kayak, I never tried anything over 25lb test and with 25lb test I still needed a very moderate drag setting. Freakin', put 40 lb test on there and a nice tight drag and you'll get flipped for sure. Think of it this way, that rod would make a great light troller for albacore, or for yo-yoing iron.(straight up and down) A 25 or 30lb yellowtail slams your iron. If you have the drag set for 40lb test and he runs sideways, it's all over. I think the length of that rod would be awesome on a kayak. I'd load a 50 H with 25-30 MONO (forgiving stretch) and start with a medium light drag. If a big pelagic fights down, tighten up and keep him outa the rocks. Runs straight ahead, bitchin': sleigh ride city. But yellowtail and the like are wily as Hell. They are not gonna go in one direction for long.