Salty's jigging lure tutorial

Started by saltydog, March 01, 2013, 04:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Mexican Flag is a hugely popular West coast color scheme for everything from Tuna clones to lead jigs. Really sharp casting, I've known people who have tried to get that finish from a mold for years on bullets.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

It does take a little to get the finish right but when you do they hold up pretty well and the action these lures produce does work really well especially for tuna.Just got back from my overnight trip and I caught one Blackfin on the green red and white but the other 11 and a Yellowmouth grouper were caught on a glow in the dark 4 oz. with the assist hooks tied on the head as usual.The whole boat with 30 anglers caught 32 Blackfin with 12 of them being mine.They were from 12 to 32 pounds being my largest with 9 being over 20 pounds,got quite a bit of good quality meat for a while.

And quite a few nice fish.These are the two largest,sorry no on board photos it was a rough trip with 10 to 12 footers and alot of spray,no camera was on deck.

I have found that with assist hooks the rigging of them will get you bites or leave you wondering why you can't get a bite,on this trip I had to go to double 4/0 octopus hooks snelled to a doubled up piece of 100 pound braid just like in the picture but without the heat shrink tubing or they just would not touch it,you really don't need all that fancy stuff on your hooks to catch fish or 900 pound kevlar cord,just a simple rigging will sometimes get more fish when they don't want to turn on.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

whoa, the dog is lookin' good !!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Just a shot of how I was rigged up on these jigs.
MacArthur

wallacewt

jcool3

Lot of guys use Envirotex Lite (Etexj) epoxy to coat their plugs and jigs.  It is super tough and thin, doesn't turn yellow, flexible, but takes longer to dry (12 hours). i use it to coat my jigs and in rod building to coat my rod wraps.  I also add holographic glitter and different colors of mica powder (tkbtrading.com) to the Etex to add color to my lures.  Find Etex at Michaels craft stores (use the weekly coupon to get it 40% off - less than $20 for 32 oz.)

Shark Hunter

How did I miss this? Those are some fine looking Jigs William! ;)
Are you taking orders? How much for six of those bad boys? I will rig them myself.
Life is Good!

Keta

Who made the mold and where did you get it?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Central Florida

otownjoe

Great post , I've been shopping for jigs for some upcoming trips.havent made the plunge because of cost and not sure what to buy .I think I'll make them instead.thanks for the info

Dominick

Hey Salty:  how does one use those jigs for Tuna?  I took the ones you sent me to Mexico twice but I have not used them since we did not do any bottom fishing.  Are those jigs only used bouncing them up and down near the bottom?Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Most of the jigging we do with them is drop em down or cast out and retrieve in an erratic fashion to get the tuna pumped up. They can also be used to bottom bounce. The faster the retrieve the better.
MacArthur

saltydog

It is a Do-it mold, I got it from Barlows online tackle store in Dallas. Model no. SBL-2-46
MacArthur

jig-guy

Great post Saltydog! Were you using GLOW spray paint to paint the glow painted jigs. If it is spray paint what brand and where can I purchase a couple cans. I have been powder coating my jigs but would like the spray paint if I could find it. I use the glow white on my jigs for cod and have caught lots of fish.
I enjoyed your post and learned a lot :).
Bill

saltydog

I use a white base coat of flat white then coat with glow in the dark spray paint from Wal mart, it doesn't have to be expensive because the epoxy is what keeps your finish intact and lasting.
MacArthur