80 #2

Started by Roger, December 24, 2009, 10:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

It's been a few days but with Christmas coming it was first things first. I was a busy boy this week. Any way, this 2nd reel has been a nightmare. The reel came to me in one piece but also a baggy full of parts. The owner had tried to take apart several years ago and some of the screws on the left sideplate had grown roots and didn't want to come out, but with a little patience and some kroil and drill bits the sideplate is off. There's has to be an easier way. The corrosion on this reel si something else. Here are a couple of pics.

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

Quote from: Roger on December 24, 2009, 10:28:30 PM
It's been a few days but with Christmas coming it was first things first. I was a busy boy this week. Any way, this 2nd reel has been a nightmare. The reel came to me in one piece but also a baggy full of parts. The owner had tried to take apart several years ago and some of the screws on the left sideplate had grown roots and didn't want to come out, but with a little patience and some kroil and drill bits the sideplate is off. There's has to be an easier way. The corrosion on this reel si something else. Here are a couple of pics.

hey roger merrychristmas looks like you gonna have some fun.   try soaking one side at a time and with a stud removal tool may to the trick good luck aloha kamu

Roger

Kamu, Mele Kalikimaka, I hope that,s right.

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

Quote from: Roger on December 25, 2009, 02:27:02 AM
Kamu, Mele Kalikimaka, I hope that,s right.

yup roger thats right merry christmas to you and yours aloha kamu 

dogtagger

Roger, try a little heat on the frame around the stuck screws. Just don't over do it. That and some penetrating oil will get them out.

Roger

Well, I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas. I know that I sure did. Now for a question from anybody that's smarter than me. I got the rest of the four screws out of the frame and now I need to chase the threads and clean 'em up. My trusty little thread gauge and calipers tell me that the threads are 8-32. Am I right or wrong. I know somebody out there, that is a whole lot smarter than me ought to know the answer.

Roger

alantani

uggghhhhh!  you know, 2 seconds and a dab of grease at the factory would have made this so much easier. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Just got back from a little hunting trip. I guess I deleted my pics from the other day. I was messing around on photbucket before I left town, deleting some pics and I guess I deleted some of the wrong ones. That just goes to show you what I know about computers.....
Roger

alantani

i missed them.  can you post them up again? 

Roger

Alan, here they are, they were a pain to get out, the corrosion wasn't really down in the threads so much as it was in the sideplate just below the screw head.

Roger

Roger

I think I've figured it out, Photobucket has had some changes. So, here goes, one more time.......

Roger

alantani

yuck!  at least the studs were sticking out.  they are really alot of fun when then snap off flush with the frame. 

Roger

I think, if you have messed with these things long enough, or for that matter any type of mechanical situations with stuck screws you get a feel far you can go before twisting something off. It's a PITA but you just deal with it.I have all the tools available to me here at the house and in the next month or so I''ll have a minature CNC mill which lots of projects are on the board.  I'm not on a time limit so it's a day to day thing for me. I'm having fun.....
Roger

Roger

Finished it today, finally. With all the trouble of getting  the screws out and some bad  communication with Penn Parts and three shipments of parts to get the right ones. It's finally back together. It's has $225.00 worth of  new chrome and new screws. It turned out looking pretty descent although "You can put lipstick on a pig but you still got a pig" the corrision is still there and noticeable. This on had some line on it so we played with the drag a little bit. Best I can tell with freespool it gives about 45#. It pretty hard to get a spool this size that's full of line to spin very long. My little set of spring scales only goes to about 50# so that's where we stopped. Here's a couple of pics and I promise not to mess with  photobucket any more......

Roger

wish I was fishing

Thats a nice restoration job Roger!
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .