6501c3 hot rod questions

Started by Rekles, March 10, 2013, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekles

Hello,

I am new to  bait casting reels. I just picked up a 6501c3 from the swap meet for $20. The foot was broken off so I took it to savon tackle in santa fe springs ca for repair. Got it back with a new frame and all serviced.

I like the reel but want to customize it and make it a lot better, what are my optins ?

Can I swap the side plates for flat covers like the 6000 trophy ones ?
What can I swap?
What are some budget mods?
What are the best mods?

Should I get a better reel to start with or is sinking $100 into this one pointless ?

Any help would be greatly appriciated,
Thanks and keep up the good work

Bryan Young

Well first you should find out what save-on did first then if you plan to fish it, swap the drags for greased carbontex. The difference will be like night and day.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. They are great reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rekles

all savon did was replace the frame and clean and oil it

Keta

AR bearing or anti reverse dog?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I think the newer ones have AR bearings.  Mine are so mixed up I can't tell what they originally were.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Oh...  All of my C3s have a dog and my C4s have ARBs.

Rekles

I don't know how to tell the two apart?  I know that it is all polished, and has 6plactic (hats)?  The white brakes I think think they are called?

Rekles

Also what are the benefits of having a magnet on the domed side plate side?

And can I convert it to accept flat side plates with a mag?

Like I said if I dump $100 into it what should I change and add?

Keta

Does the handle have any backward movement?  If so it's a doged reel, if not it's an AR and you can add a dog. Upgrade the drag to Carbontex,  a larger handle on it and a ceramic pawl.  The ABU guys can help with more.  
I wouldn't bother with maging a ABU, they cast well as is.  

Here's my AR bearing 5601C4 with an AR dog installed.

Mark Twain

Rekles

yeah mine does not reel backwards

Ken_D

Quote from: Rekles on March 11, 2013, 02:59:15 PM
yeah mine does not reel backwards

Hi. As you can see in Keta's image above, He's set it up JB style (jerkbait)....there's a one-way clutch bearing in the handle boss, and a conventional mechanical dog on that post on the brake plate.  When you say it does not reel backwards..is there an instant reaction, no slight backwards movement of the handle, or will the handle move backwards about 1/8 turn.  Too bad you did not keep the reel foot. The number seen on it would have been a pointer to the drawing for your reel.

As to modifications: you have several questions in the posts. The answer to most of them is yes, if you are familiar with what needs to be done, have the coin to buy all the parts, and the tools to do the work.

I would begin by opening as many 01 drawings from foot number 99 on up to present day. 6501's, 6601's, etc... so you can get a feel for what you want to do, and what will fit where. As Bryan advised, I would switch out the drags, add a ceramic pawl, and get out there to enjoy the product.

Ken_D

Present day Abus use the carbon drags. an upgrade from the graphite/teflon washers. They cost three times as much from Abu. Dawn at smoothdrag may well have them for less, unsure. You can quickly check that out.
And, as you advised, your centrifugal force system is present day 6-puck, with two engaged from the factory.
You quite possibly may already have the carbon washers. Open any tutorial for the 6 sized abu here at Alan's site, and have at it. If plain drag washers:

If you want to stick with factory, open a drawing for a record..any record...the rn61, etc.  I suggest the record, because it's easy to locate, which narrows your search thru the drawings to see the number.  Make note of the idler gear as well...you can buy one for your reel if you like..there's a ball bearing in it. (The other reason to use the Record drawing.)

If you want more reel candy, open the drawing for the 6 sized Mag-X reels...and see the worm. Dual ball bearings.  If you want just the one bb, open the drawing for the 6-sized C4. It has one bb. If you opt for these options, ensure you buy the worm shroud as well, as the plain one you have won't let the bb inside it.

As regards your exploration for flat side plates for dual cast caps, these get spendy real fast... a pair of flatties will run you more than all the other mods put together.     If colour is unimportant, you can buy just the right hand plate, and the rest of the items to make the plate work.  Unlesss you luck out and the flat plate can be found to match your crank plate. Abu makes lots of colour options.

Keta

Quote from: Ken_D on March 11, 2013, 05:32:10 PM
Present day Abus use the carbon drags. an upgrade from the graphite/teflon washers. They cost three times as much from Abu. Dawn at smoothdrag may well have them for less, unsure.

She does.

Mark Twain

Ken_D

Quote from: Rekles on March 11, 2013, 06:47:44 AM
Also what are the benefits of having a magnet on the domed side plate side?

And can I convert it to accept flat side plates with a mag?

Like I said if I dump $100 into it what should I change and add?
\

There are no LH mag reels, according the home page of Ambassadeur.  You will need to have aftermarket parts fitted.  Same answer for the flat plates.

View this youtube clip.... it explains Lenz's Law on eddy currents, and how mag reels operate.
    The magnet/s set up opposing eddy currents, which inhibits rotation.