Vintage 5500C Drag Washers

Started by jechterhoff, March 21, 2013, 01:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jechterhoff

I must have gotten real lazy because either I can't or don't want to look-up Carbontex Drag Washers for two old, (new to me), 4500C and 5500C that I just purchased on eBay.  I cross referenced foot numbers, went to this site then that site and I wound up here which is where I shoulda' started.

I don't know whether these came from the pre- or post- 1988 era or before or after Vietnam or what.  Do the reels take the four drag or ther two drag config.   How have y'all been, anyway??
For God So Loved The World, He Did Not Send A Committee

Ken_D

Hi.  Seeing's how you want to change the drag washers, open them up, and note the configuration.  Abu used several sizes of washers, in several different configurations in the reels are from the era you suspect. This based on the reel not being ultracast.  Add another size and another configuration if the reel is ultracast.

What are the frame foot numbers. Hopefully no-one has changed out the frames over time, to complicate a non-invasive ID, of both u/c, and drag setup.   

jechterhoff

Here's what I found on the 4500C.  Foot#:  770400 for the 4500C.

Ken_D

That may be this one. Could you post the eeb,eh? item number.
I/we can then see the pics.

http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/old/4500c%20761200.PDF

jechterhoff

Ken_D

Quote from: jechterhoff on March 21, 2013, 04:36:30 PM

Yup, the drawing from Nutter is the one.  Do you have the item # for the 55?

jechterhoff

Ken_D

Quote from: jechterhoff on March 21, 2013, 05:54:45 PM

Most likely this one.   http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/old/5500c%20790804.PDF

You'll still need to open the reels, and confirm you have these washers. Reels that are 36 years old, 9 times from 10, have been diddled with, modifed, etc...to the whims and the wishes of the owners of the day.

Several gearsets using different washers drop right into these reels. Note: I use Nutter's Abu collection more often than not, as they show all the drawings to about 2003, in yearly order, on one list...waaaay easier to locate or at least see drawings of one vintage or the other.  They do all the popular makes, also.  http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/Reel_Diagrams.cfm

jechterhoff

Yes that's it.  I have a friend who has possession of the 5500C now and he's been doing these for years.  The Boca Spool Bearings weren't hard to find using Boca's methods but the drag washers and the configuration the last owner had the reel in was in "jacked" shape.  He'll fix it.  After that it'll be the 4500C.  Thanks for your efforts.  CF?

Ken_D

Does CF mean come from. If so, I'm a Smithereen, Smithers, BC  www.hiway16.com   The 'U' in USA, underneath BC, would be about where Seattle WA is. Seattle is about 150 road miles from Vancouver BC, and I'm about 750 road miles from Vcr.

jechterhoff

Yes CF? means Come From and with a question mark is short for "...do you know where I'm coming from?"  It's also the inverse of the old fortran node, "Go To."  I am the nuclear Quality Assurance Manager at the Pantex nuclear weapons facility here in Amarillo, TX.  FYI,  and I love fishing and fishing tackle.  We don't even have a lake to go Crappie fishin' around here and the drought dried up the only one we have around here 55 miles North.  CF?

Ken_D

Now that you have the part numbers, and configurations, Dawn will be able to clone the Abu washers, with the carbon fiber ones. One nice feature with carbons: they can be cleaned, and re-used over and over, if your life-force is charged out at less than a new set.

Some folks at triple digits an hour for their job, just turf the old ones, and put new ones in, because there's no time involved. 

day0ne

You mean what you do at Pantex isn't a secret any more? I lived in Amarillo for over 20 years (pre '74) and anything to do with Pantex was a big secret. They didn't make bombs there, it was just a rumor.

I hope you don't mean Lake Meridith has dried up. I still have some land up that way.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jechterhoff

Everything is fine.  Merideth has a few drops left and is re-filling slowly.  The last time the wife and I went to the lake, it was hot and the water stagnate...stunk.  I work for a contact company and security is as always was.  All is in "standby" if needed.