another idea for a bearing puller

Started by alantani, March 24, 2013, 12:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

remember, you heard it from dave first........

QuoteDeepStrike Sportfishing 12:45pm Mar 23  
Will do. Best wishes for your friend.

Discovered a trick last night. You can insert split ring pliers into the center of a bearing to pull it out of a hole. May not be new to you, but since the split ring pliers spread-out when you squeeze the handles, you can get a pretty amazing grip on the bearing.

-david bays

got an idea on how to make this work.  leave the hooked end as is, so that you can reach inside and grab the inside bottom if the inside race.  then shorten the other end of the pliers by 4mm and sharpen it so that it grabs the top of the insice race.  then you can use the pliers and pull the bearing out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

A crude but effective trick that I use is the chrome part of a medium size binder clip. Remove it and file the 90 degree part just a little shorter and insert in a bearing. Grab with pliers and pull. Hasn't failed me yet.

UKChris

Brilliant - we now have a few one-legged clips in the office as I wanted one of each size just to be sure  :D

Chris

LTM

Alan,

Awhile back, Bryan had mentioned that his brother might be making some of those "L" shaped bearing pullers like Sal and a few of the others got, and word on these?

Leo

Bryan Young

Hi Leo,

I put a hold since Aaron said that he was going to come out with a new design. Correction, it was scrapped. I can see if he is willing to do it. I'll contact him this weekend.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Thanx Bryan, I'll bet they go like hot cakes when they are ready.

Leo

bluefish69

I hope Aaron is doing good. I like my Bearing Puller my only problem is I didn't buy the entire kit. I only bought the 1/8" kit. I should have gotten the whole kit.

Bryan does he have the same phone # ?
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Aaron does have the same phone number. I'm not sure what is the best method to reach him though...phone, text or email.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

QuoteQuote
DeepStrike Sportfishing 12:45pm Mar 23 

Discovered a trick last night. You can insert split ring pliers into the center of a bearing to pull it out of a hole. May not be new to you, but since the split ring pliers spread-out when you squeeze the handles, you can get a pretty amazing grip on the bearing.

-david bays

got an idea on how to make this work.  leave the hooked end as is, so that you can reach inside and grab the inside bottom if the inside race.  then shorten the other end of the pliers by 4mm and sharpen it so that it grabs the top of the insice race.  then you can use the pliers and pull the bearing out. 

OK I get the general idea here but am a bit lost in the fine detail.

A picture is worth a thousand words - anybody?

~

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on March 24, 2013, 12:48:57 AM

QuoteDeepStrike Sportfishing 12:45pm Mar 23  

-david bays

sounds like a nice idea but so far haven seen a protype of this idea.

The Baja Guy