430 SS Line Roller

Started by SNAPPERHEAD, March 27, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNAPPERHEAD

The line roller on the one I have doesn't work. I surprised because its one of the simpliest line roller I have ever  seen. It's prone to problems I am sure since it does not have bearings.

SNAPPERHEAD

Bryan Young

No bearing.  all you really need to do is take it apart, clean the screw shaft and clean inside the roller, lube with corrosionX and you should be good to go.  It sometimes gets gunky with dust and dirt.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 27, 2013, 06:44:43 PM
No bearing.  all you really need to do is take it apart, clean the screw shaft and clean inside the roller, lube with corrosionX and you should be good to go.  It sometimes gets gunky with dust and dirt.
I did that Bryan, the only thing I did not clean was the threads for the bail arm screw. I lube with corrosion x too. It's a mystery to me......

Ben

Bryan Young

Maybe it's time for a new screw and/roller.  

You may want to drill/grind out a little material to it rolls freely again.  Other than that, you are right.  I have yet seen one on operate though.

Another though, it could be that you are screwing the screw in too tight.  And some may also have a little thrust washer, if I recall.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 27, 2013, 11:39:12 PM
Maybe it's time for a new screw and/roller.  

You may want to drill/grind out a little material to it rolls freely again.  Other than that, you are right.  I have yet seen one on operate though.

Another though, it could be that you are screwing the screw in too tight.  And some may also have a little thrust washer, if I recall.

I replaced the roller already, but the first one that came with the reel when I bought it was fine as well. I thought I was screwing the screw it too tight as well, but I loosened and it still did not work. No thrust washer on the 430 SS. For som reason the bigger models had a bushing in their line roller, but the smaller models did not. ??? How and what would I grind out, part of the roller shaft?

Ben

Bryan Young

Inside of the roller.  I would place the roll on a drill bit.  The largest that would fit.  And while the bit is spinning, rotate the roller on the bit.  This will remove microns of stuff and polish it out a bit.

Other thing, I presume that the roller cup (part 132) is facing cup towards the roller and flat side away from the roller.  Um, is the male portion of the bail (Part 24) clean as well.  This is where it could be binding as well.

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 28, 2013, 12:00:02 AM
Inside of the roller.  I would place the roll on a drill bit.  The largest that would fit.  And while the bit is spinning, rotate the roller on the bit.  This will remove microns of stuff and polish it out a bit.

Other thing, I presume that the roller cup (part 132) is facing cup towards the roller and flat side away from the roller.  Um, is the male portion of the bail (Part 24) clean as well.  This is where it could be binding as well.

Would a piece of steel wool or alike is what you suggest for the bit?

Bryan Young

anything that can polish the inside of the roller.  I just cannot think of anything else...unless the new roller is a wrong part.