What to do if a Tsunami is headed your way?

Started by Norcal Pescador, April 09, 2013, 06:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

I borrowed this from the Humboldt Area Saltwater Anglers forum site. Good info!
Like most of you I spend a lot of time on the ocean during the season.  I keep my boat moored in Trinidad and spend a lot of evenings after work fishing when there is no one on the horizon.  Last season, in between salmon, I got to wondering what to do if a large earthquake occurred potentially generating a tsunami.  Run to sea? Sure, but what depth and how long would I have to get out there? At what point is it a better decision to head for port? I ran across a publication by the Oregon Sea Grant program that answered my questions.  This is good information specifically written for sport and commercial fishermen.
http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpubs/tsunami-awareness

The video below is of a Japanese Coast Guard ship riding over the wave.  The ship was about 3 miles from shore but I haven't seen the depth reported.

QuoteRemember this video from Crescent City?

The excitement begins at 7 minutes, when a crabber runs the bar.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nuvole

I've sounded a "buddy" check alarm when the recent tsunami hit Japan & Thailand.
The feedback I've got from the ship I often work on is that they thought that their engine have failed for a few seconds.
They were around 6nm off Thailand. My bet is that so long that the ship/boat is at water depth twice deeper than the height of the tsunami, it'll be fine under condition that the lenght of the ship is shorther that the wavelength of the wave. Meaning if you hear the tsunami alarm, and can't reach high ground, the best bet will be on a small boat heading to the sea. Big cruise will more likely to be in trouble sitting on top of the swell.

$0.02