replace slotted side plate screws with hex screws?

Started by Mandelstam, April 12, 2013, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

VW, I saw your beautiful reels on the other thread. I too am putting flat head Philips screws in now. I'm just not real comfortable with them extending out a bit. It's not horrible,but. I guess for now there is a trade off for this.
Karl, I would love to see what you come up with. Thanks
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

VW

I think I have found a way to overcome the objection many have expressed to using the flathead screws I use and have recommended.  And it is easy to do.

The problem is the head OD is larger then the Penn oval head screws.  This leaves the rim of the head overhanging the countersink in the trim ring.  I decided to try to reduce the OD by creating a bevel.

I used an old Penn frame post to hold the screw and chucked that in a drill press.  If the screw had a lot of wobble/runout, was usually able to get it running true enough by loosening and tightening the screw a few times.  Then held a file at 45 degree angle against the rim while turning the post/screw at a fairly slow speed.  Started with a coarse file, then switched to a finer one to remove the burr at the new rim and lightly touch the bevel a couple of times.  You need to move/stroke the file when cutting, otherwise the couple of teeth actually touching and cutting will clog up with chips and stop cutting.  The technique does not require much pressure, just light contact and keep the file moving.

I purposefully made a smaller bevel on the middle screw.  One could probably make a more rounded profile, more like an oval head.  I think it would be more difficult to make them all about the same.  I like the appearance of the bevel and will continue to use it.

Alto Mare has a pic somewhere on the forum showing these screws on a reel with Accurate sideplates.  The screws do stick out a lot and I understand why one would find it unacceptable.  I cannot say this method would solve that problem, but it might. 

BMITCH

VW, excellent. I already have the SS screws now you've shown what I thought could be done. I'm doing all my penn's like that. Thanks for the pictures. Great work! ;)

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

wow!  that actually looks very, very nice!!!!!!   :o :o :o
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

VW

Thanks Alan.  It's very easy and quick to do.

Irish Jigger

I just use the standard Penn csk screws,(now in s/steel) not cheap,no trouble and they always look good.
I have tried everywhere to obtain a cheaper alternative but without success.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

turboal

Penn does have Torx screws on their new Int. reels, you can order them from Scott's

floating doc

Quote from: turboal on August 06, 2013, 11:35:31 PM
Penn does have Torx screws on their new Int. reels, you can order them from Scott's
That's interesting.  Do they only fit Internationals?
Central Florida

TechTeach

Bump.

What's the latest on screws? Anyone find a good replacement?
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

bluefish69

I get all my 5-40 SS Screws from McMaster & Carr. They have all sizes lengths. All heads except Oval that a lot of reels have. I back Grind them like one of the pictures, it takes the edge off.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.