how level is your levelwind?

Started by alantani, January 24, 2010, 05:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here's a guy that was not happy and returned a reel to the retailer because the line was not wound flat.  it looks pretty flat to me.......

I do indeed have a problem with this 6000CSM.  The reel does not "level-wind" evenly.  The wire guide does not go to the right (handle side) far enough.   I tried reversing the orientation of the "level wind pawl", but that did not change anything. The next thing to try is (part #20) worm shaft assembly, to see if a different one will allow more travel of the Level Wind Assembly (part # 23).  Or a new reel.  Tell me what you want to do.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

beachbob

nope, not flat/level.  wouldn't matter much to me.  ::)
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Nessie Hunter

I have seen that in some heavily used Plutons...

What I came up with after some investigation &  Magnifying glass looky looing around was that the Worm gear hard worn and/or chipped off at the end point of gear at one end...

Ended up replacing the worm gear and Pawl in both (2 of 3 of them)...

Asked on BD if any one else had had that problem with the Pluton. 
No responses that would seem to lead to a defect...
These Reels are very heavily used in Casting Lucky Crafts in the surf....

My first guess on these would, of course, be Worm Gear worn or chipped at the end where it reverses direction...... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

Don't know what he's worried about,looks ok to me. Never needed a level wind in 60 years of sea fishing. Just something more to break down and cause tangles. Tell him to stop worrying and go fishing.

mackereljoe

It's not perfect, but seems fine to me; more metal to thumb/feather the spool.  My old abu use to do the same thing until i clean and lube, now i missed the gradual slope.  

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on August 25, 2011, 09:46:08 PM
Don't know what he's worried about,looks ok to me. Never needed a level wind in 60 years of sea fishing. Just something more to break down and cause tangles. Tell him to stop worrying and go fishing.

You're revealing your age Jigger ;D. I'm with you, I never liked those level wind. I guess some are too lazy to use their thumb :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

whalebreath

I've seen worse-heck I own reels that are worse and use them every chance I get-no problems none.