the penn 320 main gear is stuck!

Started by alantani, January 25, 2010, 12:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: Thubert57 on January 15, 2010, 03:49:30 PM

Alan,  The question (or problem); I have a Penn 320gt2 that has a seized drag.  I started the rebuild according to your tutorial but can't seem to get the main gear off the gear sleeve.  I was able to get two steel and two carbon drag washers out but the rest is stuck.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on correcting this dilemma.  Tom

what also sometimes happens is that the keyed metal drag washers will dig into the soft brass gear sleeve and create a small burr.  the main gear or the other metal washers can get stuck against the burr. between that and general corrosion, it can get really tough to get the main gear off the gear sleeve. 

remember that red battery powered screwdriver i'm so fond of?  well, it does double duty as a hammer. what i do sometimes is screw the handle nut into the top of the gear sleeve, hold the main gear in a towel and then pound on the top of the handle nut (and gear sleeve) with my screwdriver and pound the gear sleeve out.  sometimes it won't budge.  then i will bolt on the handle, hold the main gear in that same towel and twist like crazy.  sometimes i have to do both.  it's just brass.  it will definitely give.  to get the main gear back on, clean up the burrs with a flat file and it will slide right back on!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

naw, let it wear into itself.  you have some grease in there now, so it should not totally seize. 

alantani

well, you're welcomed, but let's make sure the advise is good, first!   ;D

Ken_D

Sidebar: When re-assembling, best to ensure that the non-metallic 'hub' of the gear is still tight. Grasp hub, and twist the main part of the gear as you hold the hub tight. If the gear spins on the hub, she's toast, and you make no drag whatsoever, as the gear just spins around the loose hub.