Trinidad TN30 with double "clicking" anti-reverse pawls

Started by ante, April 23, 2013, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ante

Here is upgraded TN30 with a new carbontex drag washers and with the second "clicking" anti-reverse pawl.
The original pawl also upgraded with the parts from DC model. Alan, thanks for the parts.
Unlike TN40 and TOR50,  with this setup, both pawls are engaging simultanousely, distributing anti-reverse force equaly through the set plate and the frame.

Will follow up with the technical details.

alantani

great first post.  now if we could just get shimano to look at this! 

welcome!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ante

Parts for upgrade:
-Carbontex drag washers,
-Standard DC pawls and springs,
-Custom made brass shaft/pillar retaining plate, 3 mm thick,
-Custom made pawl shaft with threaded hole M3 on the bottom end,
-Custom made two brass pillars,
-Custom made pawl keeper,

Modified pawl spring

Modified yoke plate

Brass retaining plate embeded with epoxy liquid metal, drilled 5 mm hole through the set plate and the retaining plate assembly, than pawl shaft secured with M3 screw.

One of the threaded brass pillar is secured with M3 screw through the brass retaining plate.

Pawl shaft retaining plate with securing screws (shaft and pillar).
Another pillar is secured with the screw M3 to the threaded frame.

Upon upgrade completion, the reel was tested while fishing around Adriatic Sea islands with great success.
With 24 lb drag and bullet proof anti-reverse system, paired with Shimano Speedmaster Vertical Jigging AX rod ,160 -420 grams rod (european version of heavy Trevala), I am now confident there is enough power to land even BFT 150 #.
with this reel. After fishing the reel was opened up for checking the pawls and springs.

Bryan Young

By the way, the pawl plate on the left side of the picture is installed incorrectly.  The pawl plate may come in contact with the main gear at higher drag settings.  Flip it so that the curve is the same as the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ante

Thanks Bryan. I was not aware of it, will correct it soon.

ante

Bryan,
Based on your comment, here is the "final version" with modified the pawl plate on the right side of the picture.

Bryan Young

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard ante.
That's a very impressive upgrade to your Trinidad. I am currently looking at fitting a second a/r dog (spring loaded) to my  Daiwa Saltiga 30,need to make up a few parts but like your upgrade it should eliminate  the knuckle bashing potential of these reels.

Keep up the good work.

Cone

Great Post! I look forward to your future ones. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

CapeFish

Excellent, making a seriously solid real even better thanks for the post

steelfish

really nice mod.

wishing I have access to tools to make my own custom parts.

The Baja Guy

Keta

Nice!  If you want alternating dogs I will make you one longer dog for the price of one Forever Stamp.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jhaser

I know this is a old thread and most forums don't like people to comment on old threads but I want to persue this mod to my Trinidad. Does the OP or anyone offer the parts for this? Or is it a make your own if you can kinda thing? I need this mod for at least 3 tn30s.

Will the new Tn30a set plates work on the older TN30's? I have 2 which are 15 years old and am tired of the knuckle busting. I have recently acquired 3 tn30dc set plates but lack they drill press and other tools for the pillar retaining plate and posts. Thanks.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jhaser on June 02, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
I know this is a old thread and most forums don't like people to comment on old threads but I want to persue this mod to my Trinidad. Does the OP or anyone offer the parts for this? Or is it a make your own if you can kinda thing? I need this mod for at least 3 tn30s.

Will the new Tn30a set plates work on the older TN30's? I have 2 which are 15 years old and am tired of the knuckle busting. I have recently acquired 3 tn30dc set plates but lack they drill press and other tools for the pillar retaining plate and posts. Thanks.

In our site, there is no thread that is old...it just brings back great ideas and resolutions.

No one has made these parts available....it's create your own at it's finest.  We do these posts to help other who would like more from their reels figure out how they may want to modify their reels as such.

Regarding TN30 interchangeability, I'm not sure...sorry.  I rarely get TN30as in for servicing due to the nice ceramic coating on the reel and their change to their tantalum II drag washers (is that how they spell it?).