Misaligned gimbal butt

Started by Shark Hunter, May 04, 2013, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have a 160lb rated roller rod, but the gimbal butt is not lined up square with the guides.
When I strap on my Harness and belt, the reel is twisted too far to the right and it will not work.
This is for a 14/0 senator and there is no way I can hold it up without a harness.
I have heard that I could stick the butt in a pan of boiling water and twist it off, then epoxy it back on straight. Do you think this will work?
What kind of epoxy should I use. I have the 15 minute type from hobby lobby. Is this good enough?
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

This may work depending on the type of epoxy that was used. You may need to heat it even hotter though.

15min epoxy will be fine to re-glue it back on.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Thanks Bryan,
I will give it a try this evening.
This site is the BEST! Blows SOS out of the water.
I can always depend on you guys for help.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 04, 2013, 05:08:10 PM
Thanks Bryan,
I will give it a try this evening.
This site is the BEST! Blows SOS out of the water.
I can always depend on you guys for help.
I use a heat gun, a propane toutch takes off the coating.  A new gimble butt will run around $10.00.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

locknut

You are not clear if the gimbal is Metal or  Plastic. Heat might work on the metal but maybe not on plastic. If you cannot move it they are not hard to remove. Cut down the sides with a hacksaw  slowly. Be careful to not cut too deep and cut the blank. There are plenty of places on line you can get a new one such as Mudhole.com. Good luck.

Keta

It's a 160lb rod, I've only seen aluminum gimbles on heavy rods.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

UKChris

I have an old Harnell 180-Unlimited (Royal VII) - lovely - with a wooden butt. The gimbal fitting is heavy chrome-plated brass and I think no longer available. Aftco and others do make aluminium glue-on ones that would suit a heavy rod and as Locknut says Mudhole and others will have them.

Hope you are successful.

Chris

Normslanding

Caution in heating. If you heat it hot enough to remove it you may heat the rod blank to hot. You might get some good advice from the rod builders on Bloodydecks rod building page. I have removed some stuff like this but if it is attached with anything other that tip cement you my have heating issues destroying the butt.

Bryan Young

Please post some pics so that we can offer more educated advise.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D