Replacement reel

Started by mrbrklyn, May 13, 2013, 05:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So, I'm window shoppping for a replacement of my Penn GTI320 to either mount on my Seeker 30-7 rod or the ugly stick tiger speced from 14-40lb

I wanted to try a lever drag.  How does this seem?

http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shimano-tld15-tld-reel.html

Shimano TLD Lever Drag Reel TLD15

Preferred for its lightweight and reliability, Shimano TLD lever-drag offshore reel will give you years of dependable service.

Graphite Frame
    Graphite Side Plates
    Aluminum Spool
    Rod Clamp
    Barrel Handle Grip
    A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings)
    Clicker
    Counter Balanced Handle (TLD 15 only)

It has no wind level, which is a down side IMO.

Ruben

Bryan Young

Rubin, are you planning on using braid or mono?  If braid, you may want to check you the Shimano Charter Specials since they have line guides.  You will need to upgrade the drags to carbontex but that's about it.  Solid reel.  and if you want to change to guideless in the future, Cortez_Conversion has a solid aluminum frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

The charter special has canvas drags.  Not recommended.  I'd switch to Carbontex.  I think they are like $10 or $15.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

The TLD's use to come with a canvas drag washer, not sure if they still do but a change out to a carbon fiber drag is well worth the extra $10-$15 and very easy to do. Also I did not like the stock handle on my TLD 15 and replaced it with a Torium handle.

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 14, 2013, 01:39:58 AM
The last time I popped open a reel it ended up in a lot of little peices on my table ...

We can help you get them back together.

I did 2 Charter Specials last month and the drag replacement is an easy job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

The Charter Special is pretty much a TLD with a level wind. Both reels have canvas drags and need them changed out. Great, very simple reels. Changing the drag takes about 10 min or less and you don't have to get into the reel mechanism. Lever drags tend to be much simpler than star drags, especially TLD's and Charter Specials. I like the TLD 15 for it's topless frame and lack of a levelwind. Another Shimano to look at is the TLD Star series star drag reels, especially the 15/30, if it holds enough line for you.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 14, 2013, 05:57:32 AM
 I'd need a part and expertise.  

Smooth Drag has the parts and we can help walk you through the work.  Once you are done you will have a good reel for your needs.  If you get to a point where you can't get the reel together send it to me and I'll "fix" it for you but it's not a hard project.

http://www.tackledirect.com/tr1000ld.html

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Use this posting as a guide http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12.0 and you will do fine.  All you need is a #1 phillips screw driver, new drag washer, and drag grease.  Dawn at SmoothDrag was 2 out of the 3. 

Then you will be good to go.

Bryan Young

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 14, 2013, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 14, 2013, 01:51:43 PM
Use this posting as a guide http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12.0 and you will do fine.  All you need is a #1 phillips screw driver, new drag washer, and drag grease.  Dawn at SmoothDrag was 2 out of the 3. 

Then you will be good to go.

So go with the Shamano instead of the Penn and take it apart?
The charter specials are a slot smaller and lighter for your type of fishing.  The GLD series are great reels, but are more trolling reels.  Therefore, for your case, I'd choose the Shimano, especially if you are going to fish braid.

Keta

The Penn Fathom FTH15LW is similar in size to the Shimano Charter Special TR 1000LD but it's a star drag..

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Based on your signature you and I can speak the same language, but you need to understand that what you are asking takes an immense amount of time that most people just don't have available.

Their are many many detailed tutorials on many reels that are similar to the reels you are interested in. If you use those as a guide and ask specific questions when you get stuck we will go to unbelievable lengths to make sure you are successful.

I know you are looking for something like how to spawn x daemon with this kernel including an explanation and syntax but that just doesn't happen here. Much of what we do is modifications and using reels beyond what the manufacturers intended. You can't find the exact procedure to overspeed every CPU or water cool every case that's on the market. Some stuff has to come from you. Give it a shot and call for the Calvary when you get stuck, we'll be their.

Oh, we assume that you have educated yourself with the tutorials already on this board to the point that you can keep up with the comment you quoted. Their is no one on the planet better than Alan Tani at making those tutorials and he has spent an unbelievable number of hours preparing them so that totally uneducated people can learn. It is an unbelievable resource that you need to use to get smart.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Although I have no experience with your particular reel, I do know that many on here truly love it. Might I suggest you send it and the drag to Alan before giving up all hope? The money is ridiculously insignificant compared to the product Alan will return to you. 

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

tpilk

Great advice - Alan or one of the team can make it sing.

Respectfully, it also sounds like you need to read up on adjusting lever drag reels...The comments you've made on too much resistance sound like it's cranked up too tight and/or you did not have the lever in free spool when you adjusted tension. Lever drags are great, but they do require proper adjustment. It's also surprising how many experienced guys go back to star drags for many, if not all applications. They're easy, dependable and have a rediculous amount of drag.

Also, I agree with Keta on the FTH15. It holds 300yds of #50 and has a very smooth HT-100 drag. It's a great option at around $150.

BTW, Alan also has some great options to replace original TLD handles - I did both the TLD 5 and the TLD 15 and love the new handles...they're great!

tpilk

i'm sorry you're are struggling with this. In your particular case, it might have made sense to buy it, put line on it and go fishing for this first trip. The felt washers will do fine for one outing. I used my TLD's for years with the original washers. That said, properly greased carbontex washers are awesome and for just a few dollars, make a huge difference and increase the enjoyment (smooth drags just feel great).

As to your comments on setting the drag. First, the comment on shifting the lever to freespool as you read is absolutely correct. The section you read about experienced fisherman pulling line by hand is not the same topic. It refers to checking if your "setting" is correct. If you were to check in this manner and found it to be too loose or too tight, you would then shift the lever to freespool and make the adjustment. You'd then move the lever to "strike" position to recheck the "feel." Given you are new to these reels...it makes a lot of sense to use a scale. I always check my drags with a scale before fishing, though for maybe 35 years I went by feel. It's no coincidence the number of lost fish is significantly reduced by this, but it's your call.

You might also consider a narrow spool reel. They aren't level-winds, however the narrow spool makes line management much easier if that's your goal. You just get so many great reel options with non level-wind. Another LW reel which was not mentioned (unless I missed it) are the Abu Garcia reels. My 7000C's are still going strong after 30 years. Now the line is expanded with many options as to capacity, number of bearings, etc.

Ok, here's a bold recommendation - go buy a Penn Fathom LW in either the 15, 20 or 25 size range depending on your needs. Then go return the Shimano. The Fathom already has the correct drag washers and they've had strong reviews (I have a FTH15LW myself). You can then put line on it and go fishing and won't need to crack a case.

Keta

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 22, 2013, 09:10:09 AM

Yeah - I just wanted to buy it and using on Thursday.  

I can do this job in less than 30 minutes but would never consider buying a used reel and expect to use it that soon.

Mark Twain