Replacement reel

Started by mrbrklyn, May 13, 2013, 05:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

D'oh! 

I like to go through all of my reels and then test them before heading to the coast.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuoteI like to go through all of my reels and then test them before heading to the coast.
x2 ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

tpilk

"Going through" our reels is part of the obsession and why most come to this site. Makes perfect sense to me, but then my career has been based around "fixing" and/or "rebuilding" machines.

Given the OP's comments about disassm and his timeline, a new, out-of-the-box reel sounds like his best option. Probably not wise to make assumptions on his behalf, but after going through the tread, that's my take.

I have know idea what the actual statistics are, but I'm guessing a huge percentage of happy reel users never remove a screw. To me, it's kind of like someone avoiding a blood test because "they don't want to know" what's going on inside them. The tutorials and expertise on this site have certainly increased my confidence and desire to dig deeper. That, and you will always know what's going on inside your reel.   

So, if one is NOT so inclined, they don't need to give up or take up knitting, they can buy a reel and go use it. Though I've been lurking for some time, I am a fairly new member to the site. In my short time it's clear that for most members here, the game plan is to get it home and get it apart. Works for me, but in some cases, a limited number of folks do get thrown off by the quick reaction to tearing it down and start replacing parts before it's seen action. Guess that's what happens when you visit a REEL REPAIR site, right? 

Anyway, that's why I suggested buy it, spool it up and go fishing. Do the drag when you get home.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 23, 2013, 01:38:49 AM
Quote from: Keta on May 22, 2013, 10:01:09 PM
D'oh!  

I like to go through all of my reels and then test them before heading to the coast.

I ride my bike a few blocks to the shore and the boats.

Mr. Lucky!
Driving 145 miles to the coast = 3.5 hours :-\
Bicycling 145 miles to the coast (without any tackle) = 14+ hours :(

I didn't have the IQ of a rock to fish more than a few times Insane Diego when I lived there. It would be nice to be waving goodbye from the stern of a departing Polaris. :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Mandelstam

I'm quite new to this hobby myself and can relate to your frustration. There is a lot of things going on inside a reel that I haven't fully grasped yet, and reading some of the discussions on this board is like trying to read an alien language to me. But slowly by slowly I'm picking up new stuff and am starting to get a feel for it. I bought a cheap old Penn 209 as a first try out renovation project and with the help from the guys here it is now sitting shining in my book shelf. As good as new (I like to think anyway).

What I'm trying to say is that it takes time and some trial and error. If you start with something that you don't are in a hurry to finish maybe you can just let it take the time it needs. Just put it away for a few days when you get too frustrated. Because it's then we start making stupid things and things break.

And lastly, it's by our mistakes that we usually learn something. Just think where we'd be if someone hadn't accidentally let barley get rained on then left to dry in the sun, we hadn't had any BEER today! ;)

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Cortez_Conversions

Pm me for my address, and I'll fix this if someone here already hasn't.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Mikeflorian

I have both the penn320 and Tom Hryniuk' charter special tr 2000. Tom's charter is twice as strong and will handle big fish.I have caught 30" strippers on spinning reels with 15 lb test.

DaBigOno

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 22, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
thanks Ron

I thinking I'm going to return it.  I've had in my hand for a few hours now and I'm not at all happy with it.  When I reel it in, there is too much resistence on the spin.  Also, when I push the drag level past the strike point, it gets even harder to rotate.  That isn't right.  The drag screw is too tight as well.  I can barely turn it in a way that would be useful for making a proper adjustment.  With my broken wrist and fingers that is suposedly now "healed", I'm not going to be able to handle this reel effectively.  Its feeling like a PIA.

see: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=691.0

As for the instruction, either they work or not.  I'm not guessing here.  I'm not an engineer.  I'm willing to roll up my sleaves and get my hands dirty, but not if I'm staring at it and saying, what the heck is this?  Can I turn this, twist that, etc?

Even the technical engineer for Shimano has a video on maintenmence and he's like "and then just take the spool out", and he is busy unscrewing 4 places in 10 seconds and shows the spool, smiling and says "See :) - Look the spool."

I don't have someone sitting over my shoulders when I do this, mentoring me,  Nor do I have an endless supply of reels to smashed up before I can understand how they are all broken.  Even the maunal for these things, are frankly garbage.

If I sound a bit fustrated at this point, my apologies.  There is just not enough literate help on these things to be of any use whatsoever.  The guys in the shops are of no use for information.  

I'm listening to that video as I'm writing this and it makes my blood boil.  He keeps saying, this is "basic maintmence" and then uses technojagoon left and right.  Basic is ***BASIC***.  And BTW - their "Basic" maintence isn't described in the damn manual.... basically.

If my 14 year old son can't pick up the reel off the shelf and follow the instructions, then it is not "Basic", it is advanced.

Wow!!!   I just bought a new 27 inch IMac.  This is how I felt trying to set everything up...   I would rather overhaul my Penn Internationals rather than hooking up the computer.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono