Penn 975LD

Started by TechTeach, February 08, 2010, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechTeach

Alan,

I just picked up a used Penn 975ld, haven't taken it apart yet.

I was wondering if you documented he right side disassembly yet or addressed the drag cover water intrusion problem?

Love your site!!! Keep reelin!

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

alantani

here's the post.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26.0  and you're right, i never did.  i think this post was written at a time when i did not appreciate the problems with the right main side plate bearing. 

to get to the bearing, simply pull the handle off and the inner right side plate (key #3).  for the spool cap, you have an option of grinding away at the inside until you are left with just a ring and the threads.  yup, this thread needs to be redone.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on February 08, 2010, 02:26:29 PM
Alan,

I just picked up a used Penn 975ld, haven't taken it apart yet.

I was wondering if you documented he right side disassembly yet or addressed the drag cover water intrusion problem?

Love your site!!! Keep reelin!

You may have a surprise when you take it apart. I have just finished servicing two Penn International 975 Star Drags for a friend and have never seen so much saltwater corrosion in  reels before. It was even worse than that shown on Alan's 975 Tutorial. I'm afraid that gold anodised aluminium make these reels very  high maintenance.  I priced two replacement bodies at $150 each (UK) but the owner decided that he would get another season from them without major replacements.

dylan

I was just going to ask about the 975 Lever Drag as well.  I am working on one and it is a mess!  enough salt in there. . .well anyway. 

I would guess it should generally travel (on the boat) with the reel in "freespool" to prevent / limit water intrusion. 

Any suggested mods?  drain holes?   ??? ;D

Thanks for all the great help.
Dylan