Poor Ugly Stick rebuild

Started by saltydog, May 20, 2013, 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Love the cord wrap! and the reel, one of my favorite non-Penns.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

It is a good little jigging reel and can catch big fish if it is fished within it's limits. I like cord wrapped rods better, and it takes me back when that is how all of our rods were built on the beach and the boat.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

My biggest Ling Cod was caught on that reel and an 8ft All Star. I would like a stouter rod for jigging, an old chopped Ugly Stick might just be the ticket. I have a few Tiger Rods, but they bounce a lot when you a jigging.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

This was an old pistol gripped 20-30# 5'6" model Uglystick which I put together with an aluminum tube a reel seat and the broken grip off of a scrap rod, now it's a 6'2" heavy flipping stick in 20-30# cord wrapped handle grip that with the 20SHV 50# braid and a 30-40# topshot should be pretty good matchup on a Blackfin or small Yellowfin. Tested it with the scale and it held up really well with 12# of drag so we will se what it does .
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Great job William, I only use Ugly Stik rods for inshore and love them. Mine don't look as pretty as yours though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhawk

Its contagious aint it? No wonder I'm having a hard time winning 11-13' rods on flebay! Good job, nothing wrong with those guides, its what I use

saltydog

Yup the biggest thing wrong with rod building today is you can't find decent blanks for under a hundred bucks, so I just look for rods at garage sales and rebuild.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have a sweet blank I got for 45 bucks with shipping, waiting to get wrapped
Grayson Lanier

fishtaco

I  still use my ugly stick  tiger
every now and then. it is a 20/50 7ft
man, it is smooth  and slick as a weasel

Have a great day

saltydog