Talica 8II initial view

Started by LLCC, May 20, 2013, 04:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

Greetings from sunny Singapore

I purchased this reel by impulse for an upcoming Sailfish trip this weekend. Initially I had wanted to get the more nicely priced Tyrnos, and I didn't need a 2-speed for this small reel too. But I was smitten by the looks of this reel instead and decided to follow my heart instead of my head.

The reel came spooled with 300yds of 50lb Izorline and on first view, looks like the spool is a bit lopsided on freespool.

Cracked it open to reveal very sparing use of grease. Maybe Shimano have utmost faith in their EI coating to thwart corrosion.

The clicker spring is a plastic piece. How long can this last?

There's no Instant Antireverse clutch bearing on this reel. Instead, is a silent twin dog antireverse comprising an ABU Ambassadeur-style dog at the top and a spring loaded dog below.

I don't know what kind of black grease Shimano used, but due to lack of time, I'm not going to strip the drive train out to regrease since I see there is grease on the gears.

Drag shield is a plastic piece held by 6 tiny philips head screws.

Alarm Ratchet is not lubricated and also made of plastic. No wonder it is not loud.

Drag is a fuzzy, cottony-looking carbon blanket glued to a Phenolic resin backing plate. Looking at the grease on the pressure plate, the drag seem to be greased.

For a reel that is touted to be a good caster, it has a very brief freespool spin time straight out of the box. Removed the bearings and found them to be grease filled ARB- treated Shielded bearings.

Simple teardown of the main parts and spool bearings. Since the bearings have a press in shield and I don't have spares at hand, I decided on not attempting to pry out the shields this time. Degreased the bearings (there are 3 bearings, the third is still sitting in the drag pressure plate when this picture was taken) and oiled them with TSI-301. Freespool time improved. A nudge of the spool with my thumb while holding the shaft ends got me at least 20 seconds. Time to slap on some grease and hurry out.

Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine grease with Teflon is not pretty, smells bad but works well to delay corrosion. I noticed all screw threads to be blued with Loctite.

Reassembled with more grease inside, I'll do a more thorough stripdown after I get back from fishing.

Till then, Happy fishing!

LL
Lawrence Lee

Brendan

Nice, and thank you. I bought a friend a 10 as a gift and I never cracked it open. He liked it so much he bought several more in different sizes including two 50's. I hope the big ones are a little stouter internally. If they work as good as your camera they would be quite a reel.
Thanks again, Brendan.

LLCC

Quote from: Brendan on May 20, 2013, 06:23:56 AM
Nice, and thank you. I bought a friend a 10 as a gift and I never cracked it open. He liked it so much he bought several more in different sizes including two 50's. I hope the big ones are a little stouter internally. If they work as good as your camera they would be quite a reel.
Thanks again, Brendan.

Thanks Brendan, My camera is an iphone  ;)

LL
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

I just realised something strange.

There are 2 nuts to attach to the reel for the rod clamp. There are 4 screws for this clamp.

2 screws are long and two screws are short.

But one rod clamp nut is long and one is short.

Is this normal?

LL
Lawrence Lee

gone2fish

Quote from: LLCC on May 23, 2013, 03:03:31 AM
I just realised something strange.

There are 2 nuts to attach to the reel for the rod clamp. There are 4 screws for this clamp.

2 screws are long and two screws are short.

But one rod clamp nut is long and one is short.

Is this normal?

LL

Yes,

I have a 8ii, and if I recall correctly the base is not even.  So one nut is long and one is short to compensate.  Just like one side of the frame is taller then the other.  Also, they supply "per Shimano" a short screw set and long screw set as to give you the ability to put it on narrower "modern" rods vs thicker more standard rods. Hope this helps

Gabe

Richardr

I have the 8II too and love it. Super smooth and reliable. I use it for cod, coalfish and halibut. Spooled with momoi diamond verifier braid 30lb. Biggest fish so far 80lb halibut.

LLCC

Many apologies for the broken links to images in my post.

I've fixed the links on my blog and the story with photos can now be found here:

https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/servicing-shimano-talica-8ii-initial-servicing/

Best,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Bigtuna101

Hello new to the forum. I have a question. have any of you successfully upgraded a talica 8ii 2 speed with true anti reverse bearing? I am looking for someone to do this work for me on 2 of the reels.

I was told that the single speed talica uses the anti reverse bearing and that it could be installed on the 2 speed.

I love the reels and use them for slow pitch jigging but would love to find a way to get the slight amount of back movement out of the reverse. 

I have heard there are other options as well such as carefully machining more "teeth" into the dog gear.

any thought son this would be very welcome. also if you know any one who would do this work for me would be appreciated as well.

Kind regards,

CL