Shimano 25 30 & 50

Started by willybendit, May 21, 2013, 09:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

How easy is it to convert a shimano TLD from  R H Wind  to L H Wind  there is a guy on the auction site offering to do this for £32   is it just a matter of turning the A R  Bearing round  ?   

Fish-aholic

The TLD series don't have ARB's, the AR operates by means of a spring loaded AR pawl. Shimano's definition of A-RB means anti rust bearings.

You can convert to LH, but doing so will have the drag levers operation adjusted inverse - e.g the drag lever will operate 'towards' you, instead of operating 'away' from you.

Fish'

willybendit

Thanks for the reply   so for £32 all he does is remove the  A R Pawl ?  i could do that for peanuts   if so what stops the handle from back winding   could you do away with the A R Pawl and fit a  Anti Reverse Bearing to the drive  shaft   might have to crack one open and take a look see what can be done   

Bryan Young

For a full conversion would be more than just the pawl pin and spring.  It should also include new gears and a new lever drag assembly that operates in the reverse direction.  I'd say...don't do it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

willybendit

thanks for the replies   if the guy as to change all the gears  and A R pawl then it might be a cheep conversion  not sure the drag leaver would make much difference  which way it worked   check the Add out on  the auction site  271206808427  this guy is based in new south  wales

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 21, 2013, 02:29:13 PM
For a full conversion would be more than just the pawl pin and spring.  It should also include new gears and a new lever drag assembly that operates in the reverse direction.  I'd say...don't do it.

Very good advice Bryan.