300-C Overhaul Expectations

Started by Norcal Pescador, May 31, 2013, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

I have what I need to rebuild a Newell 300-C (Penn 500 to 99 conversion) thanks to Joel.B. I need to know what I can expect as far as practical limits.

Presently, the reel will have a stainless steel yoke and gear sleeve, and a 5:1 s/s gear set from Alan at Black Pearl. Whether it gets a Top Secret 5-stack drag setup remains to be seen. ;D   All other parts are stock Jigmaster or Newell unless Lee is making s/s 500 dogs. The reel will be spooled with 50-pound Spectra over 40-pound mono on a 20-40-pound fiberglass rod. There should be room for a topshot.

Words of wisdom appreciated. Thanks.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

NorCal, if Lee doesn't have any of the SS dogs left I still have a couple if you need them. Let me know.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: BMITCH on May 31, 2013, 06:50:37 PM
NorCal, if Lee doesn't have any of the SS dogs left I still have a couple if you need them. Let me know.
Bob

Thanks. I'll check with him first.
Rob

bluefish69

I have a few also. You won't go Dogless.

Do you have the Spring??
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Joel.B

those bearings that came with those plates have red/black bushing, I don't know if that is for left/right, but maybe somebody  here can answer that and say which goes on what side?

bluefish69

JoelB

Are you talking about the Bearing Cups??

If yes the RED On the Right & Black "O" Ring Left

Newell Nut

The one with the red split ring on it should tighten all the way on the handle side. The black O ring should be used for spool tension and leave 5 to 10 thousandths of side movement on the spool.

Norcal Pescador

Thanks all, Lee still has some dogs he's shipping down.
Right bearing is tight and left bearing adjusted for end play. Drat, now I'll have to pull a sideplate to make sure the red is right and the black is left. On the other hand Joel had them in place when he shipped me the parts. :-\
I put in new bearings because the right one was a little crunchy and now the spool spins and spins and spins......... :) :)
The reel is spooled up as above and it has a Kolekar "Hotdog" grip. I think I'll be bending a rod a lot with it. 8)
Rob

Newell Nut

Newell 300 series are really nice reels. I just finished a new one yesterday. A G 338 F with all red lettering and SS jack and clicker. The red was the first year of the G series. I have P332 spool left from a 322 conversion so I used that spool and a silver Tiburon frame from Gregg Chow. I also installed a new version of the P series aluminum handle.Turned out really nice and spool spins fast and long. The new CFs pull 24 on my scale.
This will be a fun snapper reel.

Joel.B

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on June 01, 2013, 02:58:39 AM
Right bearing is tight and left bearing adjusted for end play. Drat, now I'll have to pull a sideplate to make sure the red is right and the black is left. On the other hand Joel had them in place when he shipped me the parts. :-\
I put in new bearings because the right one was a little crunchy and now the spool spins and spins and spins......... :) :)
The reel is spooled up as above and it has a Kolekar "Hotdog" grip. I think I'll be bending a rod a lot with it. 8)

Yeah, I just guessed at which went where- sorry bout that.  You should be able to screw the cup out the side of the plate w/o taking plate off though....I think.....

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Joel.B on June 01, 2013, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: Norcal Pescador on June 01, 2013, 02:58:39 AM

Yeah, I just guessed at which went where- sorry bout that.  You should be able to screw the cup out the side of the plate w/o taking plate off though....I think.....

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion last night. I'll give it a try. I always worry about the spool shaft not going into the center of the bearing when I screw it back in. I'm going to install a set of Black Pearl gears, so I'll probably just wait until they arrive. It spins so good right now, why mess with it? "If the da*n thing works, leave it alone," Mr. Murphy said. ;D
Rob

doradoben

Spectra over mono (as a filler). You're going to use this to bottom fish?? These old Newells are very cool & not seen very often anymore..

Norcal Pescador

Bottom fish, albacore, dorado, surface iron, live bait. A little bit of this and a little bit of that.
Rob

bluefish69

Rob

The Reel will not go together if the spool is not in the Bearing. I don't bother with the "C" Series because of the Bearing Cups. The "S" Series some have them some don't, I was told the ones that have Bearing Cups that was a $40 extra. The "G" & "P" are the better ones.

Mike

Mentonemoose

Who has stainless dogs for penn 500s? I'd seen that someone had mentioned the were going to make some but haven't been on here for a bit. Hopefully I didn't miss out, I'd like at least 3 for my 501s that are already nearly all stainless. Newell gears, Alan's sleeve, jack, etc! ???