The baddest Avet reel

Started by Shark Hunter, June 05, 2013, 05:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

These Avet reels seem to be the reel to have. What in your guys opinion is the baddest Avet to buy? I have been to their website and they are really promoting the Raptor series. From what I have heard, the T-rex is the baddest. I want a reel I can depend on when I hook in to a 14' shark.
What is the most heavy Duty Monster I can rely on. I don't care about casting. My baits will be kayaked out, like my old senators. I hear these reels have serious drag that will break your rod. That is what I want!
Life is Good!

akfish

Well, the T-Rex 50 has the most drag -- more than anyone could fish unless strapped in a chair -- but the 3 speed 80 is what I would consider the "baddest." Less drag but more line capacity and 3 speeds.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

For my use a HXJ Raptor would be the best choice, for sharking off the beach I'd guess a EXW 50 would do the job and you wouldn't be at risk od water skiing behind a big shark.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AJ

Quoteyou wouldn't be at risk water skiing behind a big shark.
Now I know why we have reels with 100# of drag! ;D

john2244

I have fished the Avet 80 3 speed reel and saw someone else bring in a YFT over 300# using the same reel.  It is a BIG HEAVY REEL.  I don't use a belt or harness so it is too much reel for me.  I don't see too many T-Rex reels being used.
John

Shark Hunter

Yes, at 106 ounces. I think I'll just stick with my 14/0 and Harness. A 14 weighs 137 ounces.
Pound for Pound, I'll stick with my Tow Truck! I can buy three 14's for the price of an 80.
Still considering the 50. Alan did a nice rebuild on a 50, Looks like an awesome reel.
Life is Good!