Los Cabos Father's Day Week Fishing Trip with Dominick!

Started by El Pescador, June 14, 2013, 09:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Dominick where did you get that shirt from, I need to get me one ;).... looking good.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Awesome, great pics to...   

That pic with rocks in surf!!   
I know right where that is, how cool is that!!
Obvious in low tide, almost invisible at high tide (Dangerous)

Been a few years since I have been there, Thanks for the memories!!!! 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

HOLEINTHEWATER

johndtuttle

That is a quality Rooster, not the biggest I've seen caught (75lbs, Panama). It's got the length but is not as fat as others I've seen.

I'd give it a SOLID 65lbs, but regardless, a trophy of a lifetime.

best

josa1

Thanks for sharing a great trip.  Hope you have many more!!  josa1

SoCalAngler

Way to go guys, thats a good way to start a trip.

There are a few things I'd like to know and first two have to do with color.

First, the two jacks at the dock look a little light to be amber jacks are you sure they are not almaco jacks? There almost the same except for color, almaco's are more siliver.

Second, the Modelo seem the wrong color too, you guys need some Negra Modelo's ;)

Lastly, the reports comming to the states say Mexico did not print enough fishing licenses and no places have them now. I PM'ed Pesca about this before he left and just wondering if you found this to be true? I head to Loreto Sunday for a tourney and got my Mexican license here in the states so I'm covered, I'm just wondering what the deal is?

El Pescador

We're back, and HAVE LOTS of photos for new postings, just need to get back to work, and will try to post this weekend after Dom and I swap photos from each of our cameras!  I think  you will like these shots!

While walking around the fish cleaning tables, and we quizzed the fishermen, and they said, "Amberjacks", and that just might be a colloquial term for many Amberjack species.  don't know.

Your choice of Modelo color tells me you have a cast iron stomach!  For me, Modelo Especial tastes great on a very hot day!

RE: Mexican Fishing Licenses, Dom and I purchased a One Year License, but at the Harbor (Purerto Los Cabos) a young lady was there to sell you a Day's license for $17 US, but per our Panga Capt. Serigo, fishing was Free on Monday since she was not there to sell licenses.  Things are very casual in Mexico compared to the USA.  We starting fishing on Monday without ice, and the Capt. said, "Monday, NO ICE!".
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

WCFLA

What is the make and model of the rod with the blue grips? Thanks.

Regards,
Dan

El Pescador

Dan, the rod with the blue grips was a Penn 30 -50 lbs. line class with a Shimano TLD 25 Reel, I don't rememeber the model number, I used a Calstar Grafighter Model 700M, 20 - 50 lbs. line class with a Shimano TLD 30 2 speed reel, loved using this rod, flexible tip and one heck of a back bone!

Wayne

BMITCH

Wayne, can't wait for the pictures and post. Always very entertaining!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Joel.B

i've been on the boat with hundreds of roosters- that thing is easily 60#

as with anything, they are good smoked

El Pescador

OK!  Were back, with new photos for you all, hope you enjoy the show!

First morning, Dom and I were enjoying coffee on his veranda, watching a surf fisherman catch Roosterfish, when two pangas arrived, then 20 minutes later, the entire flotilla, under full power, is heading for the same spot!  Like a hungry pack of hyenas, when one is catching, all want to catch!

Here is our Larger-than-a-super-panga, very nice boat, with a very quiet 115 hp. Honda engine.

and when you are catching Roosterfish of this size, it ALWAYS puts a smile on your face!  Nice one Joe!

Here is a small Roosterfish, compared to what we caught for 3 days, again the smile when your catching!

You want some fun, catch a 50 lbs. baby Marlin!  This fish jumped 20-25 times out of the water, and still feisty for the photo, then it was released to fight another day.

We did look to fish out of Palmilla, but opted for Puerto Los Cabos, interesting note here, to get to your boat and back, they do a beach launch, and when the surf is high, it's quite a ride!

Second day of fishing, Dom getting the locals to "loose a few buttons!"

Here is some SERIOUS Coinage just to go Roosterfishing!

And I would like to thank George  (George4741) for sending me 3 washers to make this Penn 349H a fantastic reel for Roosterfish Catching, the 3+1 CF drags worked GREAT but now I'm going to upgrade to a 5+1 drag system.  With Alan's new 5/0 handle, and 40 lbs. string, it was a perfect setup!  Thanks ALL!

Speaking of maintained reels, the Mexican Captains do not keep their gear in any sense of good working condition, my recommendation, BRING YOUR OWN REELS, and if you have space, rods as well.

AND THEN it happened!  Dom is into 150 lbs. Marlin on the TANK!!!  What a 25-minute fight!  But you already know the ending, Dom and the TANK win!!!!

After watching the performance of this Reel TANK, and if you do any inshore or offshore fishing for fish up to 200 lbs., get the parts and make a TANK for yourself!
What A fishing Machine!  

More postings later!!!

Get out on the water, Fish HARD, Pull HARDER!!!

El Pescador!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joel.B

Can somebody tell me anything about the red rings on that Tank? 

as for condition of Mexican reels- its how I got sucked into reel repair/maintenance.  Ive seen some things man, ive seen some things *shudders*

Dominick

Wayne: Terrific job.  Thanks for doing that.  You are now my embedded photographer.   :D  Joel I think the rings were powder coated, you'll have to ask Sal about that.  BTW I sent the Tank back to Sal. He wanted to take it apart and check out the guts after that work out.  He will do a report when he gets done.  I want to thank Sal and the other guys who contributed to making the Tank what it is.  You all can't imagine the fun I had bringing those fish with the tank.  Besides what you saw the Tank probably handled another 10-15 more Rooster fish.  Sal is going to push it a little more and I will use it during the Tuna Tournament in November.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.