alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial how much money should you spend?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 26, 2019, 02:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how much money should you spend?  (Read 29914 times)
twotone
Sensei

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »

David, I agree collecting and searching for parts is half the fun.
Same as catching bait and then fish.
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »

David

What happened to our little Plumbing project??

I was 62 went I retired

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

How about a $550 jigmaster  Shocked Grin ....it's not how much you should spend, but how much you are willing to spend  Wink Wink....before the wife cuts you off  Grin

* 001.JPG (1028.35 KB, 3296x2472 - viewed 190 times.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:24:57 AM by Maxed Out » Logged

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »

stop spending when you think you have reached "nirvana"...

"THE INFAMOUS"
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »

David

I was 62 went I retired

Mike
MIke:
I have 23 excuses for why I haven't tackled that project yet but I'm going to go with the following,
The opener of crab season this past weekend and my wife had cataract eye surgery this morning.
But I did get the new parts!
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »

How about a $550 jigmaster  Shocked Grin ....it's not how much you should spend, but how much you are willing to spend  Wink Wink....before the wife cuts you off  Grin

It's beautiful and I'm sure you could sell it for at least half that!
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

How about $4 G's worth of Everol's that I don't have time to fish, with another one on the way. Tongue

* IMG_3538.JPG (1956.43 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 166 times.)

Life is Good!
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »

Daron, you need a red one and then put those out as Christmas decorations during the holidays   Cool

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »

Too late Ted. Its a wide 9/0 in Blue with a Silver spool and Handle.
I have some more special engravings on this one as well. Grin

Life is Good!
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 07:49:50 AM »

David

I was 62 went I retired

Mike
MIke:
I have 23 excuses for why I haven't tackled that project yet but I'm going to go with the following,
The opener of crab season this past weekend and my wife had cataract eye surgery this morning.
But I did get the new parts!

I've had that surgery 2 X it was nothing. Just wear the glasses. Now Crab season that's almost a good reason. Your Water Bill or Electric Bill for your Well Pump would be my main reason to fix the Ball Cock

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »

Just saw this thread in "Recent Unread Topics."  The first post by Alan is a good index for getting to other threads where Penn upgrade parts (Penn 99/Jigmaster/SurfMaster/Squidder) are offered.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »

Re: How Much Money Should You Spend?

Perhaps my take is a little different on this subject --

It seems like we sometimes forget our motives -- and it is too easy to get carried away -- these are fishing reels.

Just take a typically inexpensive, common, yet impressive Penn Jigmaster 500, as an example.

Seems to me, we can condense it down to (2) choices -- 2 doors to go through...

Behind door number 1, we upgrade a Jigmaster using a Tiburon half frame, aluminum spool, CF Cal's greased drag stack, Delrin under gear washer, a power crank handle.  Check the bushings or bearings -- Make sure the handle is tight on the gear sleeve to prevent rounding -- then fish the heck out of it.  If the reel already has an aluminum spool and new CFs -- the total investment is $60 frame, $30 crank, $8 CFs and UG Delrin.  So $98, plus the reel you already have.

Behind door number 2, we realize that anything is possible -- and money is no object.  

New sideplates, SS components, 5 stacks -- until we reach a point where the only original parts on this old Jigmaster are the clutch springs and eccentric spring -- this is around $500 total investment.

Comes down to personal choice, like most things.

I guess I am kind of cheap -- and I prefer the first option as my choice for actual fishing.

Gets the job done well without having to worry about boat rash.

Nothing wrong with either approach -- and I have and continue to do both types of upgrades.

But when a client asks what can be done to improve their Jigmaster -- I try to keep the parts under $100.

A properly upgraded Jigmaster like this will be a great 30# setup -- you could even go to 40# -- but any more, and you should look at a different reel model such as a US Senator, larger reel, etc..

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:20:28 AM by foakes » Logged

A young apprentice once asked a Master Carpenter — “what was the most expensive tool you ever purchased, old timer?”

The older man just replied matter of factly —

“The one that didn’t work”...
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »

Yep!  Grin

I need to ease up on the fishing trips in my head. Tongue They cost me as much as really going! Grin

><)))">
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 06:06:12 AM »

Yep!  Grin

I need to ease up on the fishing trips in my head. Tongue They cost me as much as really going! Grin

^3X -- The Internet gives a  whole other dimension to fishing, but hunting for parts and bargains is a poor substitute for pulling in a writhing, slimy beast from the depths, or even just standing in the waves and casting. 
Navidad Nutcase

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

How much to spend ?
I am sure this has happened to more than a few of us, but it was still humbling to me.
I set up 2, penn 50W 2 speeds, and 2, 80TW's - all reels loaded with top quality braid and top shotted, all 4 on roller guide rods. Then stuck them in the rod holders  My regular guide Luis,  stuck one of his 12/0 Senator's full of 50# mono (on a pole with conventional guides),  in one of the corner rod holders. Well of course a fish hit the Senator. It was fun but scary(exciting?) thinking that one little tiny mistake and it was going to be all over, plus a $70 lure was not coming back home with me. We did get him to the boat and turned loose again. (about 100 kilos of  marlin)  I stopped showing off my big shiny rod/reels after that. No, I am not trading them off but it brought me back to reality. Those senators - of all sizes use to be the "big" reels. one more thing. that star drag lever was so hot, I could not touch it without the glove.
How much we spend has a lot to do with how much we WANT to spend and not so much how much we NEED to spent to catch fish.
Happy New year fellow fishermen,
Greg

Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: