New Ideas For the Forum – PDF Formating‏

Started by JNP, July 13, 2013, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNP

I have the habit to transfer the articles (tutorials) of the forum that I find interesting to my PC in order to create a personal archive. The most comfortable and easy way for this I strongly believe is by developing the articles in PDF format (it is good not only for keeping track of the articles but also for easier printing if you want). I thought that maybe other users of the forum also have the same habit (or agree with the idea) so I suggest that we could start uploading our articles as pdf files, too. Its an easy process with 5 simple steps that will take you maximum up to 5 seconds if you learn it.

Simple steps to create a pdf:

1. Open Msoffice or OpenOffice Word (I use OpenOffice)

2. Write your text with the pictures in the usual order (as you do when you are writing it to the forum)

3. After you finish it, go to File-> Export as PDF

4. A new dialog box will appear with several settings. Use the custom defaults that are already selected (otherwise customize the settings as you wish) and choose "Export"

5. Choose the destination folder in your pc that the pdf file will be saved, give a name to your file and then left-click on "Save". The program will create from your word file a pdf file automatically to the destination folder you chose.

6. Now you can copy paste your whole test to the forum PLUS upload to the forum your text with the pictures in PDF FORMAT!!!

Greetings from Greece, John.

JNP

For example here is the transformation of this article (shimano tld 15): http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=41.0

into pdf format: http://www.mediafire.com/?dj0vl1xvgw1s54b

*** mediafire is a free service like photobucket, although it is used to host all types of files (including pdf) and not only photos (like photobucket)

alantani

thanks for posting this.  now i just have to figure it out!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

That definitely took more than 5 seconds... if you'd like you can turn all the articles posted into PDF's for us ;D
Too much work/time for me... though it would be nice for the archives,
Dom

MarkT

The only benefit to a PDF from my perspective is that it's a read only file that it can't be edited. Posts on a fishing board? Who cares. Too much work for no benefit.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gobi King

You don't need Microsoft office or any special software, just download chrome browser and it has a print pdf feature.

I do this now of web based content as we are losing the pics over time.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

Quote from: JNP on July 13, 2013, 04:26:18 PM

1. Open Msoffice or OpenOffice Word (I use OpenOffice)

2. Write your text with the pictures in the usual order (as you do when you are writing it to the forum)

3. After you finish it, go to File-> Export as PDF

Greetings from Greece, John.

John, thanks for reminding me of OpenOffice.  My trial version of Microsoft Word expired a few weeks ago.  I've already downloaded OpenOffice a few minutes ago and see it can be customized to my liking and yes, it exports to PDF files.

philaroman

are you suggesting that long, photo-laden tutorials be uploaded as PDFs?

Quote from: JNP on July 13, 2013, 04:26:18 PM
...I thought that maybe other users of the forum also have the same habit (or agree with the idea) so I suggest that we could start uploading our articles as pdf files, too...

you see how I quoted just the part of your post to which I am responding, without cluttering this thread?

CAN'T DO THAT w/ a PDF!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks JNP, John, thanks for starting this post, others have chimed in with opinions, so we are all learning, it has to start from somewhere, apriciate your effert, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks for trying to improve things for us but I just don't think it's practical here. Keep ideas coming though as improvements are always welcome in my book!

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Dominick

JNP, thanks for the information.  PDF files work well but so does Word and WordPerfect.  Actually in the same way. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kevin cozens

any file that is saved in other formats can also be saved to PDF just open the file then select ''save as'' and choose the PDF format in the ''save as type'' drop down menu

Gobi King

PDF - Anyone posting a new article do it BOTH in a word doc printed to PDF and forum post.

So the pics are embedded in the doc and we will never lose them.

I am working on serializing our old threads to PDFs.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan