Penn 115L S.S. gear sleeve almost locked reel

Started by Guitarfish1, July 16, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarfish1

I just got a couple of s.s. gear sleeves to upgrade my two 9/0's. After punching out the pin, I added the new sleeve, put in the new pin, reassembled the reel and started to wind on new 130 lb. JB hollow braid, under about 10 lbs. of drag. About 1/2 way thru the new wind on, the handle got harder and harder to crank, until it became VERY tight.
I then broke the reel back down, thinking I might have the s.s. dog loose inside, which it wasn't. I found the sleeve VERY tight and barely able to turn. I then went to punch out the pin, succeeded, but now was unable to pull the sleeve off the shaft. The shaft slowly began to loosen up a bit, with more oil. It is not really as free turning, as it was when I installed it yesterday, but pretty free turning. I am guessing that the sleeve pin and the keyway that is cut into the shaft probably didn't have very much oil and it freed up, once I got more oil into it. If that's the case, I now wonder a bit if when it is put under a good load, catching something that can fight, if it will hold up, or get hot and seize up. I need the ht -100's to take the fight, not the shaft and the drift pin. Ideas anyone?

alantani

i'm hoping that will stay loose and able to turn if you just keep it lubed.  if it is one of my gear sleeves, then you should have received two retaining pins.  one is plain round and the other is shaved down on one side.  this was to allow for different bridge post heights.  it was cheaper than drilling two holes in the gear sleeve.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I used marine grease instead of oils between the gear sleeve and bridge plate gear sleeve shaft. Grease works better for heavy load applications..
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I've gotten a few of those from Alan and only one did the same as you're describing. Rub the bottom of the sleeve on a piece of medium sand paper on a flat surface and finish with fine. All you need is very little off. If yours requires more than just a little, you will need to do the same to the dog or it will get caught when you apply drag pressure.
You could use the grinder, but doing it by hand gives you very little chance to mess it up.
Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I've bought a few of the sleeves from Alan. I only had a problem with one 6/0 sleeve. I filed the top of the pin flat like the one Alan ships with his now. Did the pin deform the top of the keyway on the post? Something had to change to make it bind up.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Guitarfish1

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can see that a thicker lube will do the trick. I never noticed the flat on the pin, hopefully it solves the sticking issues. I also like the idea of using a little fine sandpaper to pull off a little off the back of the drag sleeve. That's a one, two punch, and this problem is o, u, t! Thanks!