where to get newell drag washers

Started by slingblade, March 02, 2010, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slingblade

Obviosly I'm looking for drag washers, both metal and preferrably h/t 100 fiber, for 500 series newell.

Thanks, Ray

franky

Quote from: slingblade on March 02, 2010, 05:11:17 PM
Obviosly I'm looking for drag washers, both metal and preferrably h/t 100 fiber, for 500 series newell.

Thanks, Ray

Yo Ray,

Getting the metal drag washers for the newell reel is fine.  However, if I may suggest, rather than seeking out for penn ht/100 drag washers, I would try to find the carbontex fiber washers.  They both appear the same (black woven fiber washer); however, I tried installing the ht/100's in my newell 550 and 646 reels, they were thicker than the carbontex ones thus causing the overall drag stack assembly to be "thicker".  As a result, it caused the reel to have a "forever drag" feeling even when the star drag was totally backed off. 

The carbontex fiber washers are thinner and will give you a better fit.  Grease them up, and you are ready to rock!  check out my posting regarding greased drag washers on this site.  Ht/100's are cheaper, but the fit is not as good.  For the money, the carbontex is the way to go.  Carbontex are approximately 2.40 to 3.00 each depending on where you go.  Once you grease them up, Alan tani and others have confirmed that they will last for a very long long long time. 8)  Trust me, greased carbontex...definately the way to go!

alantani

yeah, the ht-100's are a little cheaper, but you have more problems trying to properly shim the drag stack.  sometimes it can be a real pain.  for the few extra bucks, i think it's worth not having to deal with the hassles.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

slingblade

Thanks for that guys. I noticed that on my 200 series newells with h/t100, you have to be real carefull to get the last washer engaged and stay there while you assemble it, kind of a pain but works fine once you get it together. I still need to know where I can get them. I made the mistake of thinking the 500's used 6/0 drag and tossed the metal washers. Ive seen the fiber washers but haven't found the fiber one's. Need a source, I want to try those carbontex washers. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ray

alantani

slingblade

I've looked there but still don't see the set of metal washers. I haven't found them anywhere. I'm about ready to give up, I bought this reel new used it one trip five years ago, took it apart tossed the drags and it's been sitting ever sence. Maybe I should toss the reel too ,:D.

franky

Quote from: slingblade on March 04, 2010, 03:51:04 PM
I've looked there but still don't see the set of metal washers. I haven't found them anywhere. I'm about ready to give up, I bought this reel new used it one trip five years ago, took it apart tossed the drags and it's been sitting ever sence. Maybe I should toss the reel too ,:D.

Yo dude, easy...easy... 8)

I just did a search on this awesome site and found this....Hope it helps....

Just spoke to Norma to order new parts. She said Newell Fishing Reels was sold and moved to Valley Manufacturing & Engineering. The phone number is (800) 820-3134. The mailing address is:
Valley Manufacturing & Engineering, Inc.
11915 Wicks Street
Sun Valley, CA 91352

Try giving them a call direct; its toll free.  :)  I would think you could order and obtain parts from them or at least they could point you in the right direction to your nearest local fishing shop or online resource. 

In my opinion (many will beg to differ), newell is good because although it has its flaws and inconsistancies, it is one of the easiest to service yourself....unified bridge plate...no loose parts.... :)

Let us know how things turned out...

shoots...

alantani

call dawn at (760) 949-0271.  she has them.  if not, i have a bunch of the metal washer sets and can mail them out.  alan

Dawn

I don't have the 500 series, just for the 2 3 and 400 series.

Dawn
Dawn

Dawn

I should have said I don't have the metal washers, do have the Carbontex.
Dawn