Penn long beach 60 frame

Started by Mentonemoose, July 23, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentonemoose

Ok, forgive me if this has been discussed. I tried to no avail to search through google and yahoo and on this forum also but haven't found an answer to this question. A friend of mine has given me a nice penn long beach 60. It's a little rough around the edges corrosion wise, but the side plates are in excellent condition, it even has the nice fisherman casting inlay on the left plate witch I find to be very nice. I intend to put this old reel back to work as a light (20lb) inshore reel for sand bass etc. I'm intending on upgrading the drags to ht100 or carbontex with stainless washers, a stainless sleeve for durability, and an aluminum spool, and maybe replace the handle. I would like to know if any of the Tib or old stock accurate frames will fit this reel??? I prefer the one piece frames for a few reasons but haven't been able to find info on what is compatible, or I have read it and it hasn't clicked to what is compatible. Thanks for any info in advance, I know someone on here would know the answer to this.     

Ron Jones

As it happens, I have several of these sized reels and can tell you that unfortunatly the awnser is no. However, for 20 pound class line the factory stand is more than adequate. A standard 3+1 HT-100 drag configuration can give you enough drag for line twice as heavy so I'd invest my money somewhere else. I do wish that Penn made a stand that would fit this reel that used a clamp. It is the same size as a 2/0 Senator but the stands are not interchangable. The handle off the 49 is really nice on these reels, the cat's meow is Alan's Jigmaster handle and one of his new grips.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

john2244

Ron,

Not sure this will work or not but it looks like a 30-49 stand has the same pattern as a 30-60 stand.  The 49 stand in a little narrower but is has the holes for a clamp.  Maybe by putting a couple of spacers between the 49 stand and 60 reel you can get stand that will work with holes for a clamp.  Just now looking at a couple of reels it looks like the 60 stand is approx 1/8" wider that a 49 stand.

John

alantani

one thing about penn reels is that you can spend and infinite amount of money upgrading these.  there is literally no limit to the amount of money you can spend on these.  so let's go through this reel in order of increasing cost vs/ decreasing benefit.

1 - get an old toothbrush and some grease and scrub down all surfaces of this reel, leaving a light coat of grease everywhere.  pay particular attention to all of the non-exposed metal surfaces.  

2 - if you do not have carbon fiber drag washers, switch out all the stock drag washers for greased carbon fiber.  you will need one carbontex drag washer to go under the main gear and three penn ht-100's inside.  apply a light coat of cal's grease first.  

3 - if the soft brass gear sleeve is damaged, replace it with another soft $6 brass gear sleeve.  with a 5 pound drag setting, you will never need a $20 stainless steel gear sleeve.

4 - a $10 penn clamp?  naw, this reel won't take one, but other's might.

5 - switch out the old stock handle for a $17 jigmaster power handle.

6 - if you seriously want a $20 stainless steel gear, go ahead and install it now.  

7 - want a big handle grip?  add a $27 3/0 grip.  

8 - problem with the stock chrome/brass spool?  the aluminum spool is $28.

9 - this reel would not take a $40-80 tib or accurate frame, but you would add this last.

start at the top of the list, work your way down!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

I don't think anyone ever made an aftermarket frame (Accurate, Tib, etc) for the 60.  The stock reel foot and post assembly is more than adequate for 20lb line.  If you MUST have a rod brace, and you are replacing the spool, then get a slightly wider Longbeach 65 spool and a 30-66 reel foot and rod brace.  Basically, you will be converting your 60 to the wider 65 with a rod brace.  Of course, if you want to keep it in the stock width, then disregard all that I suggested. ;D  

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

The problem with the 65 is you can't get an aluminum spool, Scott's doesn't list any spool available. The 49 idea might work. A little secret is that the narrow Jigmasters use the 49 stand and Newell made aluminum stands for them. I might try the spacer idea someday.

You can spend a bunch of money, but I think you can save compared to a mini tank, which is basically waht you would be building. Alan, who has stainless gears for the Penn 60?

Barring that, assuming you have a reel with a steel gear for 20 bucks you can get a sleeve for 20 bucks, a spool for 28, the Newell kit can usually be found on Ebay for 50ish and whatever handle you want. Lee will let you spend 10 bucks for two dogs and for the price of the Tiburon kit, not counting the 112h you have a 40 pound reel that is just a little slower than a factory Jigmaster. It would be nice to use the Newell bars, but Penn posts have fished 40 pound line for a long long time.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

How nice! :(  I wasn't aware that Penn didn't make an aluminum spool for the 65.  Well, you can forget my suggestion. 

George 
viurem lliures o morirem

Newell Nut

You can find the 29M-60 spools on ebay. Bought a couple a few weeks ago NIB.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 24, 2013, 04:11:00 PM
You can find the 29M-60 spools on ebay. Bought a couple a few weeks ago NIB.

The 60 and 85 spools are interchangeable. The 85 is pretty much a plain-jane 60.
It's hard to beat a basic original 60 (with CF drags!) as a 15-20 pound reel. Not real fast (2.35:1) but it's a good (make that economical ;)) starter, loaner, bait-catcher, or backup reel.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Ron Jones

Scott's has spools also. That spool is why I think this reel makes scence. In fact, Lee hot rodded one a few month ago.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

gadabout

What is the point of all these upgrades?  If you're going to replace every part on the reel, why not just get a different reel?  I have been using Penn reels all my life.  I have never needed a so-called "up-grade".  I think you will find that the reel will do just fine the way it is.  Just give it a good clean and lube.  My two cents.

alantani

step one and step two are the most important.  if you can do this to your reels, you will be well ahead of the game.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

To put it plainly the point of these upgrades is braided line and carbon fiber drag material. It is now quite easy to turn what used to be a 20# reel into a 40# reel with adequate line capacity. You can also significantly increase the drag pressure previously available which makes the 40# line make sence. Unfortunatly if you do that you run the risk of rounding off the brass gear sleeve, their is also a concern about the stand being strong enough to handle the drag. Even with the modifications recomended to fish the reel this hard you are still saving money over a new reel and you have a much more convenient reel that a 40# mono reel.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

RowdyW

Quote from: noyb72 on July 25, 2013, 07:13:37 PM
To put it plainly the point of these upgrades is braided line and carbon fiber drag material. It is now quite easy to turn what used to be a 20# reel into a 40# reel with adequate line capacity. You can also significantly increase the drag pressure previously available which makes the 40# line make sence. Unfortunatly if you do that you run the risk of rounding off the brass gear sleeve, their is also a concern about the stand being strong enough to handle the drag. Even with the modifications recomended to fish the reel this hard you are still saving money over a new reel and you have a much more convenient reel that a 40# mono reel.

If you used that money to buy a used 113H you could upgrade the drags & service it & have change left over & still have the smaller reel for lighter duties. If you have a fish pulling with 50-60# of pull does it matter if the reel weighs 1 lb. or 4 lb.? And how long will those smaller, thinner drags going to take the heat before they fry?   Besides a 113H will hold twice as much braid of the same size. High output small reels have their use but it is limited. You don't hold the reel all day, its either leaning against a rail or in a rod holder so the weight is not that big of a factor. When you are fighting a fish do you think about how heavy the reel is or how much pressure the fish is putting on you? The heavier reel is also going to take the shock better. Lots of pros & cons to think about, including cost.

Ron Jones

To each their own. I do a lot of shore casting and I use plastics from boats a lot. It does make a difference when you are casting all day. I haven't seen lubed carbon fiber drags burn up anywhere near as often as materials that were used in the past. I love the 114H, but today it can be fished as an 80-100 pound reel. I have a 112H that is a 60# reel and the 2/0's work with 30. I'm the kind of guy who spends more money on reloads than comercial ammo to put my best foot forward and who wears both a belt and suspenders. I will spend the money to build a reel to the maximum extent feasable just because I can.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"