Penn long beach 60 frame

Started by Mentonemoose, July 23, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I've been measuring for over 40 years on my job and still do as you did ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2014, 10:53:46 PM
I've been measuring for over 40 years on my job and still do as you did ;D.

Yup, me too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I loose more board feet of lumber that way!!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Mentonemoose

How about the 29L-100 spool? It has the right width. Is it the same height as the 60?

Mentonemoose

Never mind, I can tell just from looking at Scott's that spool is not tall enough.  ???

Mentonemoose

So apparently the only "reel" formula for this reel would be, what Alan said.

Quote from: alantani on July 24, 2013, 12:22:27 AM
one thing about penn reels is that you can spend and infinite amount of money upgrading these.  there is literally no limit to the amount of money you can spend on these.  so let's go through this reel in order of increasing cost vs/ decreasing benefit.

1 - get an old toothbrush and some grease and scrub down all surfaces of this reel, leaving a light coat of grease everywhere.  pay particular attention to all of the non-exposed metal surfaces.  

2 - if you do not have carbon fiber drag washers, switch out all the stock drag washers for greased carbon fiber.  you will need one carbontex drag washer to go under the main gear and three penn ht-100's inside.  apply a light coat of cal's grease first.  

3 - if the soft brass gear sleeve is damaged, replace it with another soft $6 brass gear sleeve.  with a 5 pound drag setting, you will never need a $20 stainless steel gear sleeve.

4 - a $10 penn clamp?  naw, this reel won't take one, but other's might.

5 - switch out the old stock handle for a $17 jigmaster power handle.

6 - if you seriously want a $20 stainless steel gear, go ahead and install it now.  

7 - want a big handle grip?  add a $27 3/0 grip.  

8 - problem with the stock chrome/brass spool?  the aluminum spool is $28.

9 - this reel would not take a $40-80 tib or accurate frame, but you would add this last.

start at the top of the list, work your way down!

+ all the cosmetic parts that need replacement. New base, rings ( would anyone happen to have a NOS handle side original ring?), posts, eccentric lever. Then the mechanicals, new bearings, gears, drags, will Alan's stainless sleeve with the fine pitch threads fit this post? (would be nice to have the more finite drag adjustment) and the aluminum spool. Then 40# spectra topped with 20# mono. Does all of this sound about right?? Any additions, comments? ???

Alto Mare

I know that it has been a while, but it's always good to share some information from my good friend Ted.
Here is what he sent me:

Hello Sal, just been visiting the site (alantani) and saw a lengthy discussion about a penn 60 and possible upgrades. Someone pictured a 60 that has a clamp and others claimed it was from a 49, then it just kinda went away.

Well here it is, the 1941 long beach with the rod clamp and in same picture is optional accessories listed in the #9 catalog from 1941. The 4 different widths offered in the catalog pretty much covers most of penns lighter reels at that time, but it was a $2 add-on to a $6.50 reel(long beach 60), so it is very tough to find them. I believe they discontinued offering the 1-13/16 clamp stand(60) prior to 1950 or somewhere thereabout.
Perhaps you could share this pic with those on that thread.

P.S. This one is not for sale, and yes, it is all original to 1941 and it is a rare beauty.

Tight Lines my friend, Ted

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

WOW! That reel is almost as old as Dominick! ;D
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Wow, would like to see additional pics. I keep trying to lift up the edge to see the handle knob.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Mentonemoose

Lugs for a harness?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Ha ha, I added the thumb brake. It came off a same era penn del mar reel.

I have a first year (1936) 9/0 senator that has the same thumb brake, just slightly larger lol.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

OK,
You Win. That reel is older than Dominick! ;D
Life is Good!

trond_solem

A long beach 60 frame may become a reality if I can get a decent price for CNC cutting them.
This is what it may look like.