OLD SCHOOL TUTORIAL..SHIMANO TTS50W WITH CAL SHEETS TWO SPEED

Started by josa1, July 31, 2013, 11:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josa1

July 11, 2017...

Beginning to replace the missing pictures.  Should be done in a couple of days.  Started from FLICKR but they don't allow "3rd Party" hosting, i.e. the pictures are not part of the thread. Instead, the viewer must activate a link to Flickr to see the picture, and to where the pictures are stored.   So I've changed course in mid stream and have decided to use the AT Gallery site.  To me, all of this is a new learning process.

josa1

I still have and use the first long range big tuna reels I ever bought.  They were Shimano TTS 50W single speed reels.  I bought two of these reels from Turners in the 1980s for $199.00 each while they were on sale.  I caught several nice tuna on them using 60 and 80 pound line and they always performed perfectly.

A lot of big fish catches have stories.  I caught my biggest fish ever, 283 pounds, on this particular reel while fishing at the San Benedicto Island Lunker Hole on the RRIII when it was being skippered by Danny Palm Jr. and Bob Burns.  I was using 60 pound Izorline and it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to land the fish.  When the fish was at color I broke the 5 1/2 foot Sabre' Stroker rod I was using.  The line was cut and spliced onto another reel that had been partially spooled and it was a Penn 50 Wide 2-Speed.  Shortly thereafter I landed the fish.  The picture of myself, deckhand Jimmy Burwell, deckhand Andy Cates, and the fish were on the RRIII brochure the next year.

One thing I learned during this battle, two speeds are much better than one.  When I returned from the trip I had the Rusty Hook tackle store send the reels in to Cal Sheets to have them converted to two speed operation.  The cost for the conversion at that time was around $175.00 each.  I've used the reels ever since and I've learned to care for them in the best fashion that I can, so I thought I would share what I've learned with others.

As you perform these services be aware that Shimano no longer sells parts for the reels and although there are some places where parts can be purchased, parts are not that easy to find.  A few years ago I bought a reel that I use as a parts reel because I needed a spool, more on that later.

I've experimented with the drag wafer configuration and have been able to obtain 28-30 pounds of drag at strike setting and 44-46 pounds of full drag while maintaining free spool.  The best configuration I've found so far is I(())(().  The reels originally shipped with  6 wafers in this position, ()()().  As you can see, to get the drag settings listed, I've added an additional washer for a total of 7.

Well, enough history, let's get started.

Here is the reel...It is obvious that has been converted to two speed operation when you see the spacer between the right side plate and the reel frame and the shift button on the handle locking nut.

DSCN0452

and here are the schematics and parts name breakdown.  These won't be complete because of the two speed modification additions.
DSCN0569

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149892688@N02/17553d

DSCN0570
https://www.flickr.com/gp/149892688@N02/6Rh3Lk

DSCN0571
https://www.flickr.com/gp/149892688@N02/x90Kt3

DSCN0572
https://www.flickr.com/gp/149892688@N02/1E024b

The first part of this is pretty elementary.

Remove the following...

The rod clamp bolts..

DSCN0453

The handle nut locking screw..

DSCN0454

The handle nut which contains the two speed shift control button, the gear shaft seal and the handle.

DSCN0455

The lever hub cover..

DSCN0456

The lever thrust ring

DSCN0457

The "C" lock holding the PreProgram dial on to the assembly

DSCN0458

The Lever Retaining Plate

DSCN0459

Pre Program Dial including the Detent Spring and washer.

DSCN0460

The Drag Control Lever and Thrust Ring

DSCN0461

The Lever Quadrant and Quadrant Support Stands

DSNC0462

DSCN0463

With all the above removed, the right side plate looks like this.  Note the position of the lever shaft body, when you reassemble the reel, you'll want this to be around the same height.

DSCN0464

Remove the screws in the Right Side Plate, be sure the washers come out with the screws.

DSCN0465

Separate the side plate, the spacer and the reel frame

DSCN0465

Here is the Right Side Plate with the high speed gear, the low speed gear, the pinion bearing and click alert plunger showing.

DSCN0467

Remove the Cross Bar and associated screws and harness lugs

DSCN0468

WOW! A topless 50W

DSCN0469

Remove the spool assembly

DSCN0470

Note there are two Pre Load Springs (wafer washers) and a Bearing Thrust Washer on the spool shaft.  These components are positioned against the bearing in the left side of the reel frame.

DSCN0473

Remove the Left Side Plate Ball Bearing using your handy dandy bearing puller

DSCN0474

DSCN0475

Remove the anti reverse dogs, the dog spring screws and star washers, the dog springs and backing plate.  Look carefully at the dogs prior to removing them, they go on the pins in a distinct fashion. Make note of this for use during reassembly.

DSCN0478

Here the frame has been stripped of all parts and is ready for cleaning.

DSCN0479

Moving on to the Right Side Plate, let's begin by removing the gear shaft, low speed gear and shift mechanism.  Insert a tool into the shaft bore and compress the gear shift plunger spring.  This will take the tension off the gear shift pins and allow you push the gear shaft out of the side plate.

DSCN0480

DSCN0481

DSCN0482

Note that the high speed gear is held in place on the side plate with a specially formed snap ring.  This ring has two slots and two holes in the tips of the ring to allow for removal.  I'm pointing at one of the slots.

DSCN0483

Remove the snap ring...

DSCN0484

DSCN0485

Let's dismantle the shift mechanism.  In this photo I'm pushing the shift plunger out of the gear shaft.  I use a small awl and insert it into a hole in the middle of the low speed gear.

DSCN0486

Remove the Shift Plunger Spring by using a Q Tip.  Push the Q Tip into the gear shaft and turn and it will catch the spring.

DSCN0487

Carefully remove the Shift Pins and that's all there is to the gear shift mechanism, simple and effective.

DSCN0488

Remove the Pre Program Key, Pre Program Screw and Pinion Bearing from the Right Side Plate.  Separate the Key and Screw.

DSCN0489

On the outside of the Right Side Plate, remove the Body "O" Ring Seal and the Lever Hub Ratchet.

DSCN0491

Remove the Strike Alert Plunger Retainer, Alert Lever Retainer, Alert Lever, Plunger Spring and Plunger.  Note that the retainer, a "C" clip was broken while removing.  Not to worry, found I had another that fit perfectly.

DSNC0495

All parts have been removed from the right side plate.  It is ready for cleaning.

DSNC0496

Moving on to the spool.  Remove the low and high speed pinion gears.

DSNC0498

Remove the Cross Pin.  Standing the spool on end and firmly pushing down relieves the spring tension on the Cross Pin and it can then be easily removed.

DSCN0499

Remove the Cooling Shield using the Shimano provided wrench.  The threads are right hand, i.e. turn counter clockwise to remove.  Sometimes these get pretty hard to remove, if so, give the wrench a solid persuading tap with the plastic handle of a heavy screw driver

DSCN0500

Remove the drag assembly components, the titanium (Shimano term) drag washer, the drag plate, note highly polished, and the pressure plate.  Note that the pressure plate has a cross slot that fits over the shaft pin for reassembly.  The drag plate has 4 pins that fit into the holes on the pressure plate.  It goes
back together neatly.

DSCN0501

This drag washer must remain very clean and dry.  Note this washer is over 20 years old and the veteran of many trips and still in very good shape.  At some point in time I might try a lubed carbontex drag washer but I've been happy with these.  Because washer cleanliness is important, I do not remove the bearing shields or lube the bearings with a free spool improving oil.  I use these reels for trolling and fishing big baits, so long free spool times is not of paramount importance.

DSCN0502

Here are all of the components from the spool shaft.  The wafer washers are installed on the shaft in the stock position, ()()().  Take time to look at this closely, when I have problems with reassembly, it's because I do something wrong here.  Also note the bearing thrust washer, in actuality, there are three washers stuck together here.  Remember that if Cal has added components, or assembled the reel components in a specific way, it's best to maintain  his configuration.  When I try to change things it never works out.

DSCN0503

Here are all of the reel components after separation.  They are ready for cleaning and reassembly.  Looks like a lot, but not really that bad if you assign a job to each part and see how it accomplishes that job.  I always spend much more time during dismantling, inspecting and cleaning the reel parts than I do in putting it back together

DSCN0504

The spool always get special attention.  Note that there are a couple of little corrosion spots.  I make sure these are cleaned very thoroughly.

DSCN0505

DSCN0506

Inspect and clean the shaft bore.  Here everything looks great

DSCN0507

This is what a spool looks like that didn't receive the proper care.  I am totally to blame.  After a couple of trips when I didn't remove the line and spectra and properly clean the spool, the damage occurred.  As no parts were available from Shimano I had to find a reel that I could use as a parts house.  I eventually found one and took the spool above out and replaced this one.  This one was ugly but it still worked fine.

DSCN0508

Clean and lube the spool shaft parts.  In this picture you can see the three bearing thrust washers separated.

DSCN0509

At this point I do a lot of cleaning.  As noted in other posts, I use a Kleen Strip product to remove old grease.  The solution here is getting pretty yucky!  I'm cleaning one of the rod clamp screws.  Note the two pipe cleaners, one is just soft cotton fabric on a very fine wire, the other with the red dots is called an aggressive pipe cleaner as it has as an abrasive feel to it.  Mainly, I use the pipe cleaners to clean all the screw holes but use them anywhere I need to clean a tight spot.  The pipe cleaners will fit in the smallest screw hole, for instance, the handle nut lock screw hole

DSCN0510

I clean, drain and blow dry  the spool...

DSCN0511

the frame..

DSCN0529

and the right side plate.

DSCN0528

It's time to start reassembly...I like to do it by sections, first the spool, then the frame, on to the right side plate and finally reassembly of the parts.

Lightly lube the spool ends and spool bore.

DSCN0511

The spool shaft..

DSCN0512

The spool components.

DSCN0514

Then assemble the drag washer side of the spool shaft with the bearing, spring and cross pin.

DSCN0516

Assemble the pinion side of the shaft.  In order, working outward, are the bearing, bearing thrust washer(s), spacer (silver colored), wafer washers (I show them in the stock configuration here, ()()(),  You can change the orientation to vary the drag pressure and ramp up), the brass colored spacer and then the pinion guard, and finally, the pinion cross pin.  I've assembled the components outside of the spool bore so it's more apparent how they go together.

DSCN0515

After assembly into the spool, stand the spool on end, press down to relieve spring pressure to get the clearance required to insert the pinion side cross pin.

DSCN0517

DSCN0518

Then reassemble the drag washer side of the spool.  First, install the drag washer, keep very clean and oil/grease free.

DSCN0521

Then the drag plate, the pressure plate and the cooling shield.  Note that the four pins in the pressure plate must line up with the holes in the pressure plate.

DSCN0522

Then be certain that the slot in the pressure plate lines up with the pin on the spool shaft.

DSMC0523

I usually insert the drag plate pins into the holes in the pressure plate, install the the drag plate and pressure plate onto the spool as an assembly, aligning the pressure plate slot with the shaft cross pin, hold those components in place while I get the cooling shield screwed on.

DSNC0524

Then, using the Shimano wrench I tighten the cooling shield snugly.

DSNC0525

Install the low and high speed pinion gears.

DSCN0519

DSNC0520

Install the left side plate bearing wafer washers and the bearing pre load washer on the shaft and the spool reassembly is complete.  Set this aside in a safe place so as not to dislodge the washers or pinion gears while we prepare the reel frame.  A light coat of grease on the washers and pinions usually holds them in place.

DSCN0526

Moving on to the reel frame...Here is the frame after cleaning

DSCN0539

Apply a light coat of grease to the left side plate and the bearing bore. Then install the bearing and the anti reverse dog backing plate.

DSCN0540

Here are the components of the anti reverse system, the screws and star washers, the dog springs and dogs.  Note that the dogs have a dedicated installed position.  The end of the dog that has a slight a slight circular "nub" rides against the drag pressure plate. The end of the dog that has a slight rise in height rides against the dog backing plate.

DSCN0541

DSCN0542

Install the dog springs and dogs noting the orientation above.  I like to put the dogs on the pins and hold the spring in the compressed mode before tightening the screws.

DSCN0543

DSCN0544

Install the spool back into the reel frame being sure to keep the wafer washers and bearing thrust washer in place.  Note fully assembled and lubed anti reverse dogs.  If the dogs are difficult to seat, turn the reel shaft by twisting at the pinion gears.

DSCN0545

Here the spool is installed and fully seated.  We can set these components aside while we work on the right side plate.

DSCN0546

Here is the side plate that has been fully cleaned and blown dry.

DSCN0547

Apply a light coat of grease to inside area of the side plate and install the lever shaft body by screwing into the side plate.  The top of the body should be just about even with the right side plate.

DSCN0548

Lube and install the preprogram key and program screw and the pinion bearing.  The bearing has been opened, cleaned and repacked.

DSCN0549

DSCN0550

Next, we'll install the clicker alert assembly. Start by lubing the interior of the alert plunger bore and the plunger and spring. Put the plunger spring in place and insert into the side plate.

DSCN0552

Push the plunger up and install the "C" clip

DSCN0585

Install the alert lever retaining screw.  I put the lever in the "silent" position then lightly tighten the screw until I'm certain the lever works correctly.  There is a cut in the plunger that must align with the pin part of the screw.

DSCN0553

Next, we need to install the gears and shift assembly.  Here is the high speed gear.  I lube the gear thoroughly and put in place.

DSCN0555

Install the gear retaining ring.

DSCN0556

Here are the gear shift components that will be installed in the gear shaft.  Look closely at the locating pins, there is a flat side and rounded side.

DSCN0574

Lube the inside of the gear shaft thoroughly.

DSCN0575

Install the gear shift plunger return spring.

DSCN0576

Install the gear shift plunger.  Note that the "cut" in the plunger goes into the shaft first.

DSCN0577

Install the locating pins and then lube the outside of the gear shaft thoroughly.  Be sure to face the locating pin rounded ends towards the outside of the gear shaft.

DSCN0580

Insert the gear shaft into the right side plate.  When you reach the locating pins there will be resistance. On the outside of the side plate, insert a tool into the gear shaft and push on the plunger to depress the gear shift return spring.  At he same time rotate the low speed gear and you should be able to push it into place.

DSCN0581

Here the low speed gear is fully seated.

DSCN0582

We can now install the reel frame spacer and the right side plate onto the reel frame.

DSCN0559

DSCN0560

Put a small amount of grease into the screw holes.

DSCN0562

Line up the components and install the side plate.

DSCN0561

Insert the screws and lock washers.  The long screws go into the cross bar at the top of the reel.  Tighten the screws snugly, but don't over tighten.  Remember that you'll have to take these back apart some day.

DSNC0589

Install the lever quadrant.

DSCN0590

Install the drag lever and lever hub cover.  Note that the lever has plastic thrust rings on the inside and outside.  As you install the lever hub cover be sure to align the pre program dial with the slot in the pre program screw.  

DSCN0591

DSCN0592

DSNC0593

Install the gear shaft shield, the handle, the handle nut/gear change button, the handle lock and screw.

DSNC0594

DSNC0595

And, believe it or not, we're finished with this project!

DSNC0568

Now just need to put the reel thru the paces.  Check shift operation, drag response + Max/Min.  How's the free spool, etc.

alantani

i took just a quick look, but it is nicely done!   thank you very much!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Great report.  Also, very nice fish but on 60# is outstanding. Very long fight, lucky no shark were in the area.  A few years ago on one of my trip we looked at San Benedicto but did not see much and continued on to Clarion.

John

floating doc

ATrolling Triton with a 2 speed conversion was recently listed on eBay.  I didn't follow it;  I had a TT30 that was the biggest disappointment of any tackle purchase I've ever made.

The drag must not have been properly shielded.  It would lock up just from the water on the line.  The reel was totally unusable.

I took it to the Shimano North America headquarters, about two hours from my home at the time. The only help they offered was a suggestion that I carry a hairdryer when I went fishing.

That was 28 years ago.

I have never bought another Shimano reel. If you can't tell, I'm still angry.
Central Florida

redsetta

Nice work josa.
I have the 30/50 and 50/80 Tritons (ie the older version with the silicon clutch pad).
With a few key upgrades (eg greased CF and upgraded clutch pad material), they're great reels - I love 'em.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

josa1

Hi Floating Doc,

Its funny how we have different experiences with fishing reels.

I'm going thru something with a reel right now that is somewhat similar to your experience.  I have two of the reel in question, one is perfect the other is somewhat of a problem.  I recently returned the problem one to the manufacturer to see what they could come up with, so we shall see.  I'm hoping to get a better response than you got.

I see that you're in Florida so don't know if you might have had this experience.....Prior to using spectra we used to get spooled quiet a lot when we were fishing large YFT.  It was standard procedure to attach a back up outfit to the first set up and throw the 1st one overboard to keep from breaking off the fish as the line on the reel was depleted.  I've taken TTS reels apart after their ride in the drink and yes, we had to use a hair dryer to dry out that drag washer quickly if we wanted to continue fishing with it.  The reels could be submerged in sea water for a long time before they were pulled back aboard so I guess the soaked drag would be expected.

Don't you think that greased carbon fiber drags would have helped your particular situation?

I'd sure like to take a look at that 30 you had the problems with.  It would be mighty interesting to see what's going on there.

Thanks for your input.  It's always great to hear of other people's experiences!

josa1 

floating doc

I don't have the reel any more. I sold it in a fishing club yard sale.

I'm sure that a CF drag washer would have fixed it. Chalk that up to another "wish I knew then what I know now" experience.

Iwas working in the northeast, then was going to Baja with my uncle.  I booked a tuna trip that got blown out before leaving NJ. Then my uncle died of a heart attack.  That was 1986. I still haven't been tuna fishing.
Central Florida

yockman

Josa, that's a great write-up.

I too am a fan of these reels - I have ten 30s and 50Ws, some 2 speeded by Cal Sheets. They do six months hard work every year on big bluefin in Tasmania - that's 43'S, below Australia.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

raumati01

Awesome tutorial, thanks a lot. I just picked up one of these in great condition with a rod for $100. The guys wife said he had too many rods and reels.

Do any later model shimano handles fit?

yockman

I don't know about other Shimano handles but I can certainly vouch for Alan's own product.

raumati01

I've got a bunch of Alans handles on my reels and they are great. Does he do one that fits this reel?

josa1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice words.  If you look into the "new" reel let us know what you find.

I'm having computer problems so don't know if I might miss a message on occasion.

josa1

erikpowell

Bump !

Somehow I missed this one.
Nice ! Thanks for that  8)

jonnou

Just about to do one of these
exellent tutorial will help alot
Bump!

josa1

Hi Erik,

If you run into any difficulties at all, just send me an email (joe.davidson@cox.com) and I will provide any assistance I can.

I am pretty much addicted to these "tank" reels, I have several and am watching a few on ebay right now.  I've never had one fail!!  What better compliment could you have?

I don't need any more reels, I've got to stop buying them!!!  But, they're so good and mostly, so inexpensive.

josa1