OLD SCHOOL TUTORIAL..SHIMANO TTS50W WITH CAL SHEETS TWO SPEED

Started by josa1, July 31, 2013, 11:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

josa1

Let us know how you make out with cutting the drag washer.

josa1

jonnou

Washer done one of the easiest yet
used a pair if dividers (like double pointed compass)
sharpen one side to chisel point (I am a carpenter so have a set of what we call scribers)

scrap of mdf
set to radius of od of original
arc a circle and check adjust to suit(get this just right then you wont have to sand)
arc a series of circles till C/F is cut through
do the same with Id
hold original over the top of your new washer and with the appropriate sized drill bit drill the four tab holes
clean up with chainsaw file check for size
Done

watch out for Itchies
now I am going to put it back together ;D

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

jon, sorry about the delay.  i will get your parts shipped out tomorrow.  got stuck at work.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonnou

Thanks for your Post JOSA
It is all back together now
will post photo and drag specs soon
Ps mine is non 2 speed original
Your pictures helped alot

jonnou

Here is the result

Not a two speed
Just a standard in mint condition
Had some trouble reassembling
Had a bearing thrust washer in the wrong place ???
These tutorials really help
when will I stop making these silly mistakes ;D
with new C/f washer I tested at 25lb strike and 40lb sunset
smooth as a BB
Just need to fit Alans handle
thanks Jon

josa1

NOW THEN!  Now that's a beauty.  That reel looks nearly new.

Great job.

josa1

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ohfishalee

Quote from: jonnou on September 21, 2014, 03:47:11 AM
Washer done one of the easiest yet
used a pair if dividers (like double pointed compass)
sharpen one side to chisel point (I am a carpenter so have a set of what we call scribers)

scrap of mdf
set to radius of od of original
arc a circle and check adjust to suit(get this just right then you wont have to sand)
arc a series of circles till C/F is cut through
do the same with Id
hold original over the top of your new washer and with the appropriate sized drill bit drill the four tab holes
clean up with chainsaw file check for size
Done

watch out for Itchies
now I am going to put it back together ;D

Thank you! Merci beaucoup! Gracias! Obrigado!

OK!!!!!!! THis is the part of the thread I have been longing for!!!

I am about to receive a Triton 80W that I hope can be stripped just like the 50 in this thread.

What is a good source for CF material to fabricate new drag washer as described above?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rothmar2

Just recently did a couple of TTS 30's (single speeds) that both had the same problem.
The owner of these reels wanted to fish 15kg mono, so 5kg at Strike setting.
Trouble was free spool would be lost at around a strike setting of 4kg. 
I ended up sourcing some slightly different bellevilles from the stock ones.
The original arrangement is there are 2 adjacent to the left side plate bearing arranged ().
These I did not change.

The Belleville stack at the pinion end (stock) is ()()()()().
I took out 2 pairs of original  bellevilles and then arranged the originals ((())).
I then added 3 pairs of the newer bellevilles ()()().
So Belleville stack now looks ()()()((())).
The  new washers were of slightly thinner metal but same undeflected height as the originals.
I had also hand cut new carbontex washers for the drags, which was about 0.2mm thinner than the original canvas washer.
A fair bit of trial and error to get the pinion bellevilles order established to give the strike drag setting required and maintain free-spool. The aftermarket bellevilles were sourced from smallparts.com.au for those reading from Australia. Can add exact dimensions of these additional washers later if anyone interested.

josa1

Hey Rothmar2,

Interesting.  I've never really fished a 30 TTS but have worked on a few.  Had to look up what 15 KG was in pounds ???, but the ever present google was right there when I needed it.

Really seems kind of light, at 2.2 pounds per KG, and losing free spool at about 4 KG.  The drag definitely need some tinkering so your solution of changing the wafer number and config is always the best place to start.

At the first of this post you can see what I did to get a better drag for my application, also had to change the configuration and add an additional washer.

Well, the reels have been around for about 30 years now so some day we'll get them all figured out!

josa1

Rothmar2

Thanks for your comments josa1.

Despite the time and effort it took to get the 30's right with all the adjusting of the Belleville stack, I feel it was worth it. I personally think with the Carbon Drag upgrade, these are a much more "user friendly" reel than the Tiagra's (ducks for cover!).
I'll add too, that the configuration I came up with had a very nice gradual drag ramp up from free to strike.
I think this whole (old) series of reels were also capable of much higher drag settings, they are built like tanks.
I guess I'll never see a Cal Sheets converted 2 speed version out here in Australia. Was interesting to see your original post for sure. It's a shame they have been discontinued. I think these are (and were) very underrated reels.

josa1

Hey Rothmar2,

Was just wondering if you got any report on how the 30's fished?  I just went over your post again and was, again, impressed with your attention to detail.

I fished one of the modified 50's on a recent long range trip, absolutely fabulous performance and strength. Some folks might poke fun at me once in a while for using this "stagecoach" reel, I just nod to them and shake my head.  I remain pretty much Old School, but I do have a lot of new toys to compare the TTSs to, they stand up very well.   :D

josa1