Switching tactics

Started by Brendan, August 14, 2013, 02:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Anyone else having to deal with switching from tournament line to spectra to jump from tournament fishing to just catching fish that only count for fun or fillets? I have a lot of gear but it still seems like a hassle. Lots of work making the switch from one to the other. After hanging around here I know I can prep for both. Just thinking the time switching would be better spent fishing.
Tight lines, Brendan.

RowdyW

hi, I would just switch spools or have spare reels.  ;)  Rudy

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Are you sure you cant use "backing" such as spectra in the tourney's you fish? I know the IGFA allows backing of your choice as long as the leaders/topshots follow their guidelines, for world records. Maybe all you need to do is add a topper of IGFA rated line on top of the spectra?

Brendan

I think the backing can be used on the reel as backing, but you can't use it to fight the fish. Tournament top shot as long as needed to not expose backing. I'm not positive so I just fill with tournament line bottom to top.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Keta

Find out how long your "main line" needs to be and make a "mid shot" out of the approved line.  When you convert just spool off the mono and then replace it with a L2L "mid shot" of Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on August 14, 2013, 01:42:31 PM
Find out how long your "main line" needs to be and make a "mid shot" out of the approved line.  When you convert just spool off the mono and then replace it with a L2L "mid shot" of Spectra.

Most "pay out" tourneys follow the IGFA's rules which makes it easier for everyone to follow. I looked up what their rules are when it came to backing and here it is strait out of their rule book.

A. LINE
1. Monofilament, multifilament, and lead core multifilament lines
may be used. For line classes, see World Record Requirements.
2. Wire lines are prohibited.

B. LINE BACKING
1. Backing not attached to the fishing line is permissible with no
restrictions as to size or material.
2. If the fishing line is attached to the backing, the catch shall be
classified under the heavier of the two lines. The backing may not
exceed the 130 lb (60 kg) line class and must be of a type of line
approved for use in these angling rules.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 15, 2013, 06:41:46 AM
2. If the fishing line is attached to the backing, the catch shall be
classified under the heavier of the two lines. The backing may not
exceed the 130 lb (60 kg) line class and must be of a type of line
approved for use in these angling rules.

The underlined part is vague (A. LINE 1. Monofilament, multifilament, and lead core multifilament lines may be used)  but by the way I read this a short "main line" would be ok as long as your "backing" was a lower strength and approved.  I think I'd set the reels up with 100yd "midshots" of the approved mono line and the next weight down for the Spectra "backing" but make sure the Spectra breaks at or slightly below it's rated strength.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain