Tiagra 130A

Started by kamuwela, March 12, 2010, 04:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

We have a brand new Shimano 130A, grab a schematic & follow along.

Remove push button shield #91 & two screws #92

Remove slide plate #94 & handle bolt plate #2A

Remove push low button shaft #740 & handle assembly #741

Remove drive shaft shield

Remove lever hub cover #414 & lever quadrant #743

Remove right side plate B #746

Right side plate B & drive gear assembly

Pinion gear & alert ratchet #750

Main gear assmebly with inner & outter bearings #578 looks dry for my liking but it was lubricated
with a liquid lube

Remove spool #751

Left side plate #758

Remove harness lug #756

Remove stand #459

Remove stand shield #458

Okay, here we go. This is my theory of corrosion protection. These reels arent cheap i
guess im just picky. It should last a life time.

Grease all screw holes to prevent salt intrusion

I like to also to brush screws with grease

Torque them down & wipe away excess grease

Lightly grease all screw holes, one piece #757. Dont use too much grease, prevent frame
cracking tighten screws slowly & torque tight

Grease frame & install harness lug

Repack all bearings

Lightly coat left side plate just more salt protection

A light coat of grease & a bead for a seal along the outter edge

Grease screw holes for more protection

Install left side plate cover & wipe off excess grease

Remove cross pin #441 & preload springs #444

Remove anti-reverse ratchet #461

Remove cooling shield #754

Remove outter drag washer & drag plate #752

Two shims & liquid lubed bearings. dont think i'll be casting this real so i'll just repack bearings

Note: four pressure release springs #448

Repacked spool bearing #577

Greased drag washers inner & outter #454 & #449

Wipe off excess grease

Insert pressure plate A #449 & grease pressure release spring #448

Lightly grease O ring & cooling shield #754

Install pressure plate B #454

Install anti-reverse ratchet #461 & shim

Reinstall right side pinion assembly. note: this reel 2 shims then spring washers.
washers were reinstalled using stock configuration ((((|

Install completed spool

Going to lightly grease main gear assmebly & repack bearings

One drop of corrosion X on alert plunger #749

Lightly grease shaft, install shim on drive gear B #438 drive gear A #437

Salt protection complete

Installl lever quadrant #743,drag control lever #745 & lever hub cover #416

Grease drive shaft shield #409 & install with drive shaft thrust washer #410 & #411

Reinstall handle

Note: little spring, dont lose it. Install handle bolt plate 2A, slide plate #94, slide plate
spring #93, & push button shield #91

Now that wasnt so hard was it? There were a few little springs here & there that could
be lost easily. These are great reel in my opinion, could use more lubrication from the
factory. I mean i dont think too many guys will use these reels for casting. If you look
at a previous tutorial i did, you can see the beating these reels take here in Hawaii. For
me, its all aout protecting the investment.
                                                         Aloha, Kamu
                                                           Honolulu

alantani

very nice, kamu-san!  i found one of the tiagra's with corrosion underneath the drag washer of one reel that i worked on.  if you get a chance, you might want to put some cal's grease underneath the drag washer as well.  i'll leave this post on the welcome board for now, then move it to the shimano section later.  arigato-gozaimasu!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

ok thanks for the advice. mahalo and aloha from hawaii. and yes you are the master and i got the bug from you    ;)

aloha
                                          kamu

Jimmer

Great post Kamu - I think that 130 will be a treasure for a long time . Hana pa'a!
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Roger

Kamu - another good one. Looks like the reels are getting bigger. 
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

lol pretty much, we do trolling stuff roger and thanks. I have a shimano 80w in the bank (photobucket) gonna post that soon and will be doing a 80 and 130 penn in the near future. I am not sure what model's the penn's will be though. stay tuned for futher adventures of a grease monkey
                                                       aloha
                                                        kamu

Roger

Can't wait to see them. I lost my oldest son the first week of January and really haven't much ambition to do much of anything this year.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

im so sorry for your loss roger, keep your head up and remember god always takes the best too soon but has a purpose. take care of yourself 
                                                       aloha
                                                        kamu

alantani

sorry to hear about that, roger...........

Roger

Thanks to both of ya'll. It was a shock to all of us. He came back from Iraq in '04 and the VA had him 100% disabled and he was doing real good and he just fell over. The ME said his heart just give out. I'm getting a little better but it's going to take a while. Thanks again
Roger

lawaia

Just wanted to say thanks to Kamu for posting this Tiagra 130 tutorial.

I just today took apart my first TI-130 using this post (yes, even without the photos!).  Just read along and followed this post and used the reel schematic/exploded drawing for reference.  Had a few parts unexpectedly fall out and the dang 'slide plate spring' go flying, but managed to find it thanks to doing the disassembly on a white towel.  After cleaning and lubing everything it all went back together nicely with no extra parts left over (whew!) and, best of all, the reel worked as it should!

Hope it wasn't just beginner's luck 'cause I'm going to do a second one soon.  If anyone saved the original post with the photos, please post 'em back up or send 'em to me.  Kamu did such a nice job on the tutorial that I didn't need the photos today but they would give this newbie at the big Shimano reels a little more confidence for future maintenance.  The Shimano Tiagra reels have waaay more parts than the old Penn senators!

Mahalo nui loa, Kamuwela!

kamuwela

sorry about the pics dont know what happned. for future refernce you can use the 50 or 80 tutoriol the reels are identical except for bushings on the crank vs bearings. good going on completing your first tiagra, now you are hooked.

alantani

they must have been deleted from photobucket.

kamuwela

guess i have to find time to do another.

lawaia

Don't know if I'm hooked like Kamu says but I today did my second ever TI-130 breakdown.  This one had somehow lost free spool following our last trolling trip in nicer than usual water (meaning the reel never got splashed like it does on 'normal' days).  A couple of years ago Alan had told me that routine breakdown of the TI-130 wasn't necessary if the reel was working well, and this was the first issue I've ever had with this reel that is just a little over a year old.

Kamu had given me some advice (if I understood it correctly) that the cause of loss of free spool might be due to the belleville washers under the preset knob becoming salt encrusted so that was the first area I looked at.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the right side plate and those washers were pretty clean and everything had been greased by the factory.  But that left me wondering what else might cause the loss of free spool.

With the right side plate removed and the spool still sitting inside the frame and left side plate, I noticed that the spool wouldn't turn.  So, I pulled the spool out of the frame and saw that the left side plate was also pretty clean, with just traces of salt.  Looking at Kamu's instructions and the reel schematic, I realized that I'd have to go deeper into this reel than I had to for the one the day before; I'd have to go into the drag assembly.  Those tiny screws (TT 0755) holding the cooling shield caused much trepidation...I could just picture them breaking or stripping but kudos to Shimano, they all came loose without a problem.

What I found once I removed the cooling shield was a real shocker!  There was salt heavily encrusted inside the cooling shield and on the pressure plates, drag washers, and the drag plate. :o  Removing the tiny screws (TT 0753) from the drag plate to gain access to the inner drag and plate was another squeeze job but they again came loose with no problem.  Fortunately running hot water over everything melted the salt off with negligible actual corrosion remaining, and after a thorough cleaning and regreasing, everything went back together and the reel is again working just fine.

But I wonder how the saltwater got into the drag mechanism?  The cooling shield's o-ring was intact and in place and everything was greased and screwed down.  This reel is used on the stbd side so any splashes would hit the left side plate which has no obvious opening to allow ingress of water. All's well that ends well, but I can't imagine how that much salt got where it did and would appreciate anyone's experience or insight on how it might have, so we can avoid it happening again.  Kamu?  Alan?

Mahalo for any input.