Teflon drags

Started by turboal, March 14, 2010, 04:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi Alan, Do i use Cal's grease on teflon drag washers ?

alantani

naw, toss the teflon drag washers and install carbon fiber with teflon grease.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

It won't hurt your teflon drags, but it doesn't do much to it either except when it gets wet.  Smoother when wet, but not much smoother.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

turboal

It's an Omoto reel, don't know where to get a drag washer
for it. they use teflon drags in all there reels. any ideas ?

akfish

Measure the drag washer and call Dawn at Smooth Drag. I'm sure she'll have something that fits.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

Quote from: turboal on March 15, 2010, 01:13:30 PM
It's an Omoto reel, don't know where to get a drag washer
for it. they use teflon drags in all there reels. any ideas ?

I don't understand the logic of using Teflon drag washers in a reel as they have a very low coefficient of friction. I have serviced some cheap low end Chinese made spinning reels which had Teflon drag washers fitted. The are easy to stamp from sheet material and cost buttons to produce.

sounds to me like you understand the situation pretty well! ;D

Ellis Feibush

Hi Turboal - I have quite a variety of Teflon washers. Many years ago I used to use them in Jigmasters in combination with leather drag washers (which were stock in those days). The combination of these two washers produced a fairly smooth drag action. The problem, however, was longevity. The leather washers didn't last too long. Just my two cents worth!