penn mag tuned 10

Started by garking84, August 31, 2013, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

Hello, I have a Penn 10 and I was looking to see what I could do for an upgrade. I have the 5-10 main gear with no center hub bushing I see there's another main gear 5n-10 with center hub bushing. Is the 5n-10 a better gear?

Keta

I prefer the bushed gears.

You can put a SS gearsleeve and Carbintex drag washers in it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garking84

I just ordered the ss gear sleeve and washers l should get them sometime next week. And by bushed gears you mean the 5n-10, thanks for the help keta I appreciate all the advice that you,Alan,alto mare, Bryan and a lot of other guys give on this site.

Keta

Yes, the 5N-10.

I used a 10 for Chinook when I lived in Alaska.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garking84

I had never heard of Chinook just googled it and wow they get big, what's the biggest you caught on this reel

Keta

Quote from: garking84 on August 31, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
I had never heard of Chinook just googled it and wow they get big, what's the biggest you caught on this reel

41 pounds.

Mark Twain

canoecaper

The 10 was built as a salmon fishing reel to use up to 20lb mono.
Strip off the LW and put in a piece of helicopter undercarriage (our official Penn Man did it for me)
and you can reach 180yards.
515 mag2 is better.  ABU 6500 will out cast them but I have landed countless fish with mine.
Cod mainly but only up to 15lbs.  I caught an 18lb cod off the beach and it totally wrecked an Ultra Mag.
Cast with ABU, fish with Penn.

Decker

Quote from: canoecaper on December 05, 2016, 06:33:26 PM
The 10 was built as a salmon fishing reel to use up to 20lb mono.
Strip off the LW and put in a piece of helicopter undercarriage (our official Penn Man did it for me)
and you can reach 180yards.
515 mag2 is better.  ABU 6500 will out cast them but I have landed countless fish with mine.
Cod mainly but only up to 15lbs.  I caught an 18lb cod off the beach and it totally wrecked an Ultra Mag.
Cast with ABU, fish with Penn.

"Helicopter undercarriage" -- I guess that is code for aluminum (or aluminium) tubing?   I've been wanting to try that so I can use my Penn 10 with a shock leader in the surf.  Any leads on where to get that?   Fish with Penn!  Cheers.   

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on August 31, 2013, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: garking84 on August 31, 2013, 02:53:38 PM

41 pounds.

Lee,

Thats a heck of a nice fish.

Where's the picture?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Not digital, wish it was.  I boated 2 over 50 but not my rod. 

Mark Twain

canoecaper

To "Decker".

No code, a genuine helicopter undercarriage component, re-used after a life swap out.
Hollow, waisted and marine grade alloy.  Sea King I believe.

Rgds.

Malcolm Hayward

Decker

Quote from: canoecaper on July 06, 2017, 01:45:21 PM
To "Decker".

No code, a genuine helicopter undercarriage component, re-used after a life swap out.
Hollow, waisted and marine grade alloy.  Sea King I believe.

Rgds.

Malcolm Hayward

Wow, that is very specialized!  If you know where I can get a piece, please let me know.   Cheers,  /Joe

Keta

Go to an aviation repair station and see if you can have some red tagged parts.

Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on July 06, 2017, 02:38:49 PM
Go to an aviation repair station and see if you can have some red tagged parts.

Thanks, but what exactly would I look for?   A three inch piece of aluminum alloy tubing, about 3/8 inch diameter? I can't imagine that helicopter undercarriage would be so narrow.   Just trying to understand...

Keta

The part will be longer and will have to be cut. New aluminum tubing can be bought in many sizes too.

Mark Twain