penn mag tuned 10

Started by garking84, August 31, 2013, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on July 06, 2017, 02:55:32 PM
Quote from: Keta on July 06, 2017, 02:38:49 PM
Go to an aviation repair station and see if you can have some red tagged parts.

Thanks, but what exactly would I look for?   A three inch piece of aluminum alloy tubing, about 3/8 inch diameter? I can't imagine that helicopter undercarriage would be so narrow.   Just trying to understand...
I'm just as confused as you are. That's one heck of a place to look for parts to customize a tiny reel :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Woke up early thinking about the 10 I just bought and "helicopter undercarriage"... A cross-section of that aluminum tubing from a big copter just might be thick enough (if the right diameter) to use as the starting point for a reel frame (like a tiburon). I imagine a 10 with a frame and levelwind removed could be a little beast.  Just a dream at this point...

Keta

I caught a 42# King salmon and a world record chum salmon on a stock Penn 10 reel, add a solid frame and it would be even stronger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

Any update on this project, Mr Decker Joe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Decker

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 26, 2021, 02:59:43 PM
Any update on this project, Mr Decker Joe, cheers Don.

Sadly no, Don, I do so much more thinking about such things than doing...  My posts are full of ideas that have never been done.  Still I enjoy it.  Cheers, /Joe
Quote from: Decker on July 18, 2017, 09:45:19 AM
Just a dream at this point...

Donnyboat

Joe thanks for your quick reply, could be an interesting project, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat