Abu Revo Toro Mag conversion ???

Started by Lalo13, September 05, 2013, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

lalo why do you need to mag your revo? because you don't need too.

Lalo13

I spent good money on this reel , and I feel it can cast so much further than it does already , I followed the tutorials on this web site and have serviced it to the point of near perfection , but still feel that I can get more out of it , I fish for musky with it and often find that if I approach shallow fish they take off once they see the boat , sooooo I'd rather cast from a distance , a good distance and  that"s why I'd like to mag it truth be told , that is my only gripe with it , I feel that Abu didn't go far enough with the reel in that aspect , like everything else there is room for improvement , mind you that is my , and only my opinion ............. ;D

GulfOfBothnia

I'm interested to know how far you can cast with your reel.
Also what kind of rod you are using and typical lure weight as well.

I'm trying to make classic round abu to cast far... but I can not judge what is "far"... nothing to compare to...

Lalo13

I use a 7'6 St.Croix Mojo Musky fast/heavy rod , one piece , spooled with 50 lb. power pro on my Revo Toro Winch 61 , usually get  about 50 to 60 yards per cast using double 10s , like I stated earlier thanks to this site all of my reels are in top form , the man who let me cast his magged reel actually learned about magging in a recent trip to the keys , anyways his reel easily cast about 80 yards in my hands , in his , I could not tell you , but it was far .... ;D

Fish-aholic

May I ask, what oil are you using for the spool bearings?

I ask because I've found that lubing SS bearings (shieldless) with TSI 321 and blowing out all excess oil via a can of compressed air, I've found the TSI lubed SS bearings have similar performance to dry ceramic hybrids (great free spool), though, the TSI has great corrosion protection for best lastability.

Other areas to check are the friction points from the levelwind to the idler gear. If either are greased can lose you the freespool qualities you desire.  ;)

saltydog

I fish with ABU 6500's with 6' medium heavy rods and if maintained properly I can cast 3/8 oz. bucktail jig 50 to 60 yards on a normal cast without the reel being magged. And if I switch to an 8' stick I can get a little over 90 yards with a 1 oz. bucktail. A lot of it has to do with some of the bearings that some of the reels are built with, I have picked up some new reels that have terrible freespool and when serviced it stays just as bad. I have changed bearings out to a more expensive one to see if it will help and it does. I believe that some of the reel companies just slap the cheapest bearing they can get away with into there reels to save on cost, but that is up for debate. Just like the government and the space shuttle it looks like reels are built by the lowest bidder, so to get better performance you might have to spend a little.JMHO
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

don't mag it becuase it will just decrease the CASTING distance. this is what i do to my light gear (curado 200E7  abu morrum C4  Record  KVD Tour etc is removed bearing shields lightly sand part of the spool shaft (pinion gear part) polish this part and the inside of the pinion gear use oil on worm shaft instead of grease and lastly lighten rotating parts. hope this helps!

WARNING BACKLASH! OVERRUNS!

Lalo13

;D Ok , one at a time now , I use the light synthetic red stuff for the bearings its in my garage right now and its cold right now so the name can wait ..... Now as far as bearings are concerned , that is a very viable option , never gave it much thought but it could be a starting point ......Finally , its my reel my friend , and as previously stated this reel is well maintained , polished /greased internals , greased drag , however as my post stated the guy who's reel I cast that ignited my curiosity got out about 80 yards , with me at the handle , casting a 1oz. lure on a calm day , by all accounts that is far .. Hey let me experiment a little , if I'm successful  YAAYY !! for me ........ BUTTT !! If I mess it up  ??? I have all winter to repair it , AND !!! all you guys can send me a nice slap for being stupid  ... Anyone else ???  :o

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

lalo don't forget that the abu conventionals casts better than low profile baitcasting reels. this is because of the placement of the spool bearings.  :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have a revo toro 50..."curiosity once killed a cat"  ;D here are pics of the spool. not very good reproductions tho but maybe you can see where the bearings are. now for the majority of ambassadeurs check Bigt's tutorial on an abu 6500 c3 and Alan Tani's 5500 c3. you'll see what i mean. hope this satisfies you. BTW if you want to check out my abus go to photo gallery.

Lalo13

jonathan.han

One thing everyone is not considering is that optimized distance comes from selecting a rod that will load properly for the weight you are throwing. Looking at the reel is one source of distance optimization, but if you aren't throwing enough weight to fully load the rod and get the the full potential energy loaded into it, you won't cast very far. A longer rod will give you more distance, but will make working lures a chore.
raw instinct

Lalo13

Thank you Mr.han , but this is not about rods , yes it is true that a longer , softer rod will load better , and in the proper hands can cast very far but perhaps you missed the point here , we're not talking rods , just magging the reel , nothing more , as previously stated the man who let me cast his magged reel only had a 6.6 ft. rod , could have been a medium fast I don't remember , but the fact remains magged reels cast far , thank you for the input , but please let's keep it to the reels , thanks ;D ...

Lalo13

??? Ok now so after tweaking the spool's bearings , removing the shields cleaning and re-lubing with hot sauce ,  I noticed that my casts are significantly farther , pointing out this small flaw was genius , thank you Mel B , I know now that the stock ones SUCK !!! Anyways keep you guys posted as this goes on , I fished this weekend probably my last musky outing , I really don't like having 4 tonsils anyway , I will be tweaking this further and replacing the low budget bearings that my $300 reel came with , thank you guys for all your time and patience with my lunatic ideology ............. ;D   

Lalo13

:'(Ok now !! after many , and I mean many failures I think that this magging stuff should be left to the conventional reels , I went and bought several side plates at  great expense , one by one I decimated them .YES !! I am a idiot , but i had to try , one never knows what will happen if one tries . Thank you all who tried to persuade me not to do this , or gave me good advise  , thank you very much , I retire this thread humbly , If anyone wishes to hate on me or just laugh at me , feel free ...........thanks for your time ...... ;D