Roller rods

Started by Shark Hunter, September 10, 2013, 02:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got schooled on what a pain it is to keep your rollers in good shape. This rod has only been on one trip.
I put my 10/0 on and went to spool it up, the rollers weren't cooperating. I completely took every one apart and lubed them with Reel X. Is there a better lubricant to use on rollers? I know they are going to be sand magnets now.
Life is Good!

AndrewC

I give all my rollers a hit with a little Inox after ever y trip after I've washed the rod down
The worlds a better place when its upside down

day0ne

Depends on the rollers. Aftco says to not use oil on theirs, use a waterproof grease. John from Pinnacle Marine Outfitters says to add 80 wt gear oil with a syringe. He says even 30 wt will work. It definitely will stop the roller from rattling. I'm trying Valvoline 50 wt on mine because I hate the smell of gear oil. He says to use it after washing.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

that is going to be the most famous couch in the entire fishing world!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Wd-40 after every trip. Rinse wash spray repeat
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

After reading one of your recent posts, I wondered how a roller guide rod would work on the beach.  I have no experience with beach sharking but have read several dicussions about the topic of guide choices. 

The consensus has been that rollers won't work on the beach. I would recommend some kind of dry lubricant like Teflon spray. Graphite should be avoided. I understand that it is very hydrophilic (attracts water) which could lead to a real problem.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Yes Doc,
The Rollers on the Beach are not a wise choice, But I already have them and am going to make the best of it. I Have some Heavy Duty Rods that Don't have the rollers. I fish with them both. When they let me down, then I will regroup. I think if I constantly maintain them, they will be fine. When you have a lot of pressure on the rod and they are working right. It feels pretty good. I probably won't buy any more and will stick with Zirconium Guides from here on out. I already have them, so I may as well fish them. ;D
Life is Good!

Jeri

Hi Shark Hunter,

An old trick because the frames of the roller guides pinch the rollers or the bushes, we to strip clean and lightly lubricate with something like a silicone grease – very lightly. Then re-assemble, but avoid screwing the screws too tight. Now the rollers all run free, and even with salt encrustation, thy will operate. Because now there is a possibility of the screws coming undone – in transit, or vibrations on a boat, we used to just paint the heads of the screw with nail varnish – pick a colour from your wife's selection, and paint across the head of the screw and onto the frame.

Old trick, especially effective with press steel frames, not an issue with machined frames like Stuart, but Aftco and the like do suffer with the frames binding.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

Good to know Jeri,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I will try the Silicone grease. That sounds like the way to go. I will also do the nail polish thing. I noticed after I lubed them, I couldn't tighten the screws back as tight as they were without binding. Thanks again for the tips Pal! ;D
Cheers from Hot and Humid Kentucky! ;)
Life is Good!

john2244

A custom rod builder once told me after each trip take your rods into the shower and rinse with warm water.  This seemed to be very effective when I was fishing with roller rods.

John

Dominick

Quote from: john2244 on September 11, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
A custom rod builder once told be after each trip take your rods into the shower and rinse with warm water.  This seemed to be very effective when I was fishing with roller rods.

John

That's the way I handle it. Then dry and wipe down with a Corrosion-X impregnated cloth.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Yes, I definitely do the shower. Its nice when there is an outside shower coming from the beach. I have too much time and money invested not to take good care of my gear. I think the main problem with these rollers is that the rods are not high end. The rollers just seemed to be bushed with a sleeve and a male and female screw on either end. I have three or four more to do this weekend.
Dom, can you buy those cloths with the corrosion X already applied? Like a silicone cloth for firearms?
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 11, 2013, 05:21:42 PM
Yes, I definitely do the shower. Its nice when there is an outside shower coming from the beach. I have too much time and money invested not to take good care of my gear. I think the main problem with these rollers is that the rods are not high end. The rollers just seemed to be bushed with a sleeve and a male and female screw on either end. I have three or four more to do this weekend.
Dom, can you buy those cloths with the corrosion X already applied? Like a silicone cloth for firearms?
Daron: I had a rod that had those sex bolts (a.k.a. barrel nuts or Chicago bolts).  I remember that I put a drop of solder that had hardened and was on the floor of my garage.  I was able to tighten the bolt down so that it would not bind.  I think the solder gave enough to be able to adjust the tightness. 
Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Good thinking Dom.
I think the problem truly comes from the sleeve that is in the roller itself. If it was just a 64th of an inch too long, you could tighten it down without binding and not worrying about it coming loose.
That will be another project. I'm currently too busy with work and trying to prepare for this trip.
I hear you on the solder though. Maybe even a smaller sleeve between the sex bolts to keep it from getting too tight on the roller frame.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Ok, I'm reading about rods, sex bolts and shower all in the same sentence :-\, control yourselves fellas  ;D
and of course Dominick is always in the middle of it all ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.