116A

Started by Shark Hunter, September 10, 2013, 02:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Check out this little slice of Heaven! A Cherry 10/0 on a 80 lb rated roller rod spooled up with 800 yards of 80lb mono. Completely serviced the rollers and the 10/0 is completely been gone through with a new 7 stack of Ht-100's.

Life is Good!

George4741

Impressive looking rig, Daron.  I imagine it will handle about anything a sane fisherman would want to catch.  Winding all of that line looks rather intimidating.  Did you use a backing (dacron or other) or do you think the spool is heavy enough to not get warped?  What is the length of the rod?
  George

I'll rephrase the last question.  For land based sharking with your big Senators, do you prefer short (5-1/2 - 6 ft) rods or something longer?

viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I'm running straight mono George. I know a lot of guys don't do that. I do. In my mind, that's one less weak link in the chain. I have plenty of mono. All my rods are 5'6". With the short rods, its like a piece of pipe. You can really put some muscle on them. I'll run a 20' 400lb test shock leader with a sliding trace and some 7 strand cable to a 12/0 hook on this one.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Be careful with that 7 strand, it kinks easy.
Grayson Lanier

john2244

Hello Daron,

Where are you going to do your shark fishing and when ??  I may drive out from Calif. to watch you bring in a 12 footer.

John

Shark Hunter

Good to hear from you John!
I will be in Pensacola on the 19th. Wish me Luck! This is going to be a serious fishing trip with My Brother, stepson and me. I hope I reel in that 12 footer! I definitely have the gear to pull it off.
If I do, All here will see! ;D I will be happy with a couple 6 to 8' Bulls. I am really hoping for a Tiger or  Scalloped Hammerhead. I just hope its better than my last trip when the Blacktips kept stealing my bait. I've learned a lot since then and think I am prepared to get some Bigger Sharks under my belt.
I will be using stingrays, so this should help. take Care. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

Surf Slayer

i know this is an old post, but how did that 80lb mono hold up for you? do you think it is strong enough to pull in a 10+ foot shark. i am trying to decide between 80lb and 100lb. I want it to be able to handle anything.

RowdyW

To handle "anything" is a real tall order. Start by getting at least a 130 series or larger 2 speed reel loaded withe 250-300# line & 2 real strong friends to hold the handles on your belt. How long can you & 2 friends hold you from going surfing?  ;D 2 hours... 3 hours...4 hours?  With your reel 80# line should be sufficient. That's not going to be a "walk in the park"even then.

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on July 02, 2019, 08:32:54 PM
To handle "anything" is a real tall order. Start by getting at least a 130 series or larger 2 speed reel loaded withe 250-300# line & 2 real strong friends to hold the handles on your belt. How long can you & 2 friends hold you from going surfing?  ;D 2 hours... 3 hours...4 hours? 

;D ;D ;D ;D 

TWith your reel 80# line should be sufficient. That's not going to be a "walk in the park"even then.

I have my sealine 900h with some 150#braid as filler and long leader of aprox 150yds of 115# suffix mono line
depending on the brand of the mono line 80# could be thicker or equal to 100# from another brand, I couldnt found 100# line locally so, got that suffix which is kind of thin for been 115#, the line doesnt feel stiff at all

The Baja Guy

Surf Slayer

To handle "anything" is a real tall order. Start by getting at least a 130 series or larger 2 speed reel loaded withe 250-300# line & 2 real strong friends to hold the handles on your belt. How long can you & 2 friends hold you from going surfing?  ;D 2 hours... 3 hours...4 hours?  With your reel 80# line should be sufficient. That's not going to be a "walk in the park"even then.

hahaha ok good point.  ;D Thanks for the response

RowdyW

If you want really tough line try Ande Monster line. It's available on Amazon. Berkley Big Game isn't bad either & it's a lot cheaper.

Shark Hunter

I've switched it up a bit in the last 6 years I now run 100 suffix tritanium on my 10 and 12/0's. 130 Exsum on the 14/0.
Been doing mainly casting this year with big spinners.
Life is Good!

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on July 02, 2019, 09:23:33 PM
If you want really tough line try Ande Monster line. It's available on Amazon. Berkley Big Game isn't bad either & it's a lot cheaper.

For cost efficiency,  i have been between barely big game and Sufix superior.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 02, 2019, 09:27:38 PM
I've switched it up a bit in the last 6 years I now run 100 suffix tritanium on my 10 and 12/0's. 130 Exsum on the 14/0.
Been doing mainly casting this year with big spinners.

All I've been using is spinners so far. Ive hooked up on some decent black tips with my daiwa bg 8000. I'm excited to try out the penn senator. Those are some nice lines you're using. right now i am leaning towards suffix superior 100lb. Sufix tritanium looks nice but its expensive :o I guess you get what you pay for though...

Benni3

hi-catch blue diamond 80lb that's some strong stuff too,,,,, ;D