Accurate reel tools

Started by Rodman, September 23, 2013, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

Do you need any special tools to service accurate reels?

alantani

a long, narrow number 7 torx bit.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rodman

Alan What the hell is torx bit? To us poor aussies

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

flat head screw, phillips type head screw, allen type head screw and lastly torx a type of head screw and this  tool comes all accurate reels. hope this helps...

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Quote from: alantani on September 23, 2013, 07:09:34 AM

Unless it is an older Accurate which has Allen head screws
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

Quote from: day0ne on September 24, 2013, 04:44:44 AM
Quote from: alantani on September 23, 2013, 07:09:34 AM

Unless it is an older Accurate which has Allen head screws

oops, thanks for the reminder!

David Hall

Which appears to be what I am working with.  an older 270 with the tiniest Allen head screws
I have ever seen and in my inventory of about 50 different metric and SAE I don't have one small enough?
Probably do somewhere but I'll be much older before I find it.
Anyone know exactly what size this screw head is?

foakes

Hi Rodman --

Here are some Torx screwdrivers -- Don't use them often -- but when needed, nothing else will work.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

not sure on the size.  i have a small hex set and these is one bit that fits, really tiny.  :-\

David Hall

Put the reel in my pocket.  Went to OSH tested all the Allen head and found the one!
Cracked the reel open and found.  Right side spool bearing frozen.  Left side better but even after cleaning it was not smooth.
Kept tearing it down and found the rest of the bearings in good shape,  even the Arb bearings which I was glad to see as these are those early German bearings that I understand are discontinued.
  In my efforts to get the c clips retainers off the bearings I must have crowded my workbench. Having to look through my illuminated magnifier to see them I must have brushed my forearm over one of the greasy spool springs because by the time I looked for it.  It had disappeared!  So got an order in to Boca for a bearing kit.
I will call Accurate Monday morning and see if I can get a new set of spool tension springs.
In the meantime I will look for the thread about upgrading the ARB to the shimano bearings.
On a good note today I got through three reels complete service before getting slammed into the wall on the accurate.  If I keep it up I might get through the rest of my reels by January!