Newell Reel Monofilament Capacity Charts?!?

Started by woodeye, September 26, 2013, 12:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodeye

Specifically, I need the 20, 25, and 30lb. mono capacities for my Newell P322F. A chart of all Newell Reel Capacites for a selection of mono line weights would be nice. But, I NEED to know the capacity for 25(!) and 20lb test monofilament. Any help?

woodeye

Heck, a 332 holds 390yds of 25lb., so a 322 is gonna hold well over 250 yds of same. That'll hold me till I find a chart that has 322 specs included.

bluefish69

I'm looking at my chart & it doesn't list a 322. You do have the numbers right.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tunacious

Remember, the numbering system Carl uses is based on tournament grade mono.

If memory serves, I think I get about 250-275 yds of 30 lb. on a P332. I use the 332's for 25# and 30# lines. For a P322, I think I get about 250-275 yds of 20 lb. The line I use is either Big Game or Izor...neither are tournament grade.

Bryan Young

I though Newell's reels numbers gave an indication of line capacity...I.E. 322 hold 220 yard of 30# test.  Then you can calculate the # of yards for 25# and 20# based on the diameter calculations software that someone linked to?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunacious

Bryan: That's correct...that's how the Newell numbering system works. In this case, a 322 is 220 yds of 30#. The 30#, however, is tournament grade line...not regular mono. Tournament grade is pretty much exact in its breaking strength for IGFA record purposes, whereas 'regular' mono may (probably will) break at a much higher line strength...most of them do. Hence, tournament grade is much thinner than the 'regular' mono diameter. :o

I don't use spectra on my reels. I use a rule of thumb for my Newells when it comes to the numbering system...not scientific but it works for me.  ;D

For my P322's, I don't use over 20# mono for my application. Instead of 220 yds of 30# mono (Carl's # for tournament grade), I get about 220 yds (give or take) of 20# (BG or Izor). 220 yds is plenty for what I use if for - bait fishing yellows, albies, BFT, YFT and Dorado up to 40-50 lbs. This setup can get iffy when on a long soak - typical BFT fishing...half my line is out.  :o

For my P332's, I use them as 25/30# bait outfits - the same class of fish as above. I get about 275 yds of 25# and about 220 yds of 30# using BG or Izor - I don't get the 320 yds of 30# as claimed. :'(

For my NL 533, I use it as a 40# yoyo/bait outfit. I can get about 330 yds (give or take) of 40# (BG or Izor) - I don't get the 330 yds of 50# as claimed. :'(

For my NL 631, I use it as a 50 lb yoyo/bait outfit. I can get about 300 yds of 50# of BG or Izor - I don't get the 310 yds of 60# as claimed. :'(

Actually, I've been using my Newell's for 20# (322) and 25# (332) bait applications...for 30-50# I use my PG's (545/454) and Tib'd TLD 30.

woodeye

Forgot all about my questions here till I just started gearing up for getting some reels squared away by Alan and asking a ton of lame questions of my fellow members here, while I try to work over most of the rest. I used to do all my own work, but now I have a couple of the early ACCURATEs, an ABU GARCIA REVO TORO NACL, a couple small AVETS, and a couple SHIMANO CURADO 300EJs. I'm chicken to open the ACCURATEs and REVO TORO, and just feeling rusty about the AVETs and CURADOs. I plan to work most of my stuff over and get them in ziplock bags at least, over the next X number (God knows!!) months.
Anyway, all the above info/knowledge shared above is greatly appreciated and will make planning a lot easier.
                         THANKS MUCHLY, WOODEYE

alantani

i'm sure you will get all of this sorted out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

One thing to be said when thinking of line capacity, as some people forget about this this, is line diameter. The line capacities that the factory gave these reels when they first rolled out is MUCH different with todays mono lines. Just need to be aware when selecting what you are going to use.

ez2cdave

Well, better late than never . . . LOL !

I've attached a chart of Newell Reel Specifications . . . ENJOY !

Tight Lines !

Yogi_fish808

Yep as stated modern mono is much different than when Carl introduced these reels. I'm pretty sure on a 322 (especially due to the deeper aluminum blackie spool on all 322's) you'll get more than the rated 220yrds of 30lb mono depending what brand you go with since diameter of "xx-lb mono" varies a lot.