Land Based Shark rods, reels and Tackle.

Started by Shark Hunter, September 28, 2013, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 28, 2013, 09:00:37 PM
Ok Guys,
Let the debate begin. I prefer to use rods under 6' for big fish from shore. I also like rollers. Under pressure, This is a tug of War and you can feel every headshake, and tell quickly if he is making a run toward me. I know some guys like the New avets and two speed variety of Big reels.
I'm sticking with the Monster tackle, Penn 12/0 and 14/0 on a 5'6" rod spooled entirely of 130 lb test Mono, with a 25' 400 lb shock leader. If I can't winch him in with the 14/0. He can't be caught by Me.
I think this is an old school mentality, in a good way! ;)
Call me crazy, call me Old School! This is how I roll! ;D

I'm also old school! The 14/0 is a classic beast, very capable, but  can still be powerless at times, as can a 16/0. There are some fish which are simply not meant to be caughtjavascript:void(0);!

Keta

Do you follow the sharks down the beach or stay in "camp" to fight them?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

When they get close to shore, you have to follow. They won't come right to you. That's when they realize they are not going to win and they do not want to come ashore! Once you get a hold of the leader, its all over. ;D
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Some sharks travel down the beach, but Hammers travel away from shore when hooked, and monsters only travel north......

floating doc

One addition to this discussion would be to have the members mention where they fish. East central Florida is different than the keys, for example, not to mention Africa.
Central Florida

Dynamo

Quote from: floating doc on September 29, 2013, 10:16:42 PM
One addition to this discussion would be to have the members mention where they fish. East central Florida is different than the keys, for example, not to mention Africa.
Oh good idea. Hammers don't run out only in the keys, If you hook a large hammer anywhere in Florida you can expect it to run hard and fast. Tigers and Bulls are very powerful, but do not run like the hammer. Spinners are a fun fish, they go for short power runs and jump like they're nuts, its quite a thing to watch. Tippers run all over, out a little, but mainly to the sides, and torwards you. Nurses just sit, pretty much. All sharks do NOT want to come to the beach, it can be tricky getting them over the bar. And like i said in the previous post, Monster hammers charge north. There is no stopping them.

Dynamo

By the way, I don't fish the kEys alot, i was just giving an example of places where braid is a bad choice. Now I'm stuck fishing the Chesapeake Bay.

Keta

Quote from: Dynamo on September 29, 2013, 10:27:52 PM
By the way, I don't fish the kEys alot, i was just giving an example of places where braid is a bad choice. Now I'm stuck fishing the Chesapeake Bay.

Coral?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

Yes sir, coral is a problem, many shark fish on beaches with coral reefs. Crab traps have cost many nice sharks as well.

saltydog

I fished the beaches of Fla. for over a decade and have lost my fair share of sharks but the Texas coast in some places can be a real nightmare. Alot of old hurricane debris , old cars, parts of houses, old oil platform pipes and other junk litter the bottom in many places and it takes a little time to learn the places not to fish. Yes I said not to fish, don't rake me over the coals for that one. You learn over time it's not worth the time or money to fish certain areas, like where there are too many people, obstructions, crabbers, ect. There are too many places I know of that it wouldn't matter what you were using it wouldn't hold up, not even 300# mono and an 18/0 Evrol reel which cost my buddy 1800 bucks. Then you have places in Fla. that hold tons of rays and Jewfish that it's like why am I doing this, some can get over 500# and every bait you drop it gets vacumed by those buggers. And on and on and on, basically it comes down to fishing and learning what it takes in the given areas you fish to accomplish what you want. ;D

I love Hammers, they are one of the hardest fighters out there and will test your tackle.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dynamo

I agree, some places are just not worth fishing. I love all sharks but hammers are my favorite fish definitely, especially Greaters.

Bunnlevel Sharker

All time hardest fighting fish is a giant ray. No contest even from hammers
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

I've never caught a big shark, but by far the toughest thing I've had on was a ray. If I could have laid it on a 70 Cadillac hood it would have touched the ground on both sides of the car.

Until then I didn't know that they got that big. Our WAG was 250 pounds. It was much bigger than the 155 pound halibut I caught.
Central Florida

Dynamo

Bunnlevel, you might be right pound for pound, but once you witness the power of a large hammer, then maybe you'll become a believer like me.