Garcia Mitchell 306 Assembly Help

Started by Windsurfrgal, October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsurfrgal

I have inherited a Garcia Mitchell 306 from my Dad. I am new to fishing and wanted to clean and lube the reel.  I downloaded the instruction manual and schematics and took it apart. Unfortunately I can't get it back together.  The diagrams in the old manual are almost impossible to see the technique for some reassembly is a mystery. I think I must have a spring wrong somewhere.
I also ended up with a very tiny pin that is not anywhere in the directions. I don't know where it popped off of. I have searched You Tube and various parts sites but can't find anywhere that has an assembly video for this reel. Does anyone know where I could get either a video or diagrams for reassembly? 

Thanks!

bluefish69

Try Mitchell Fishing Reel Museum-- that's what I am using
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

TomT

I tore down, cleaned and lubed a couple of MG 302's and a 303.  When, in doubt, I just didn't take part of them apart too far.  I would assume most of the MG's are similar to your 306, so any MG spinning reel tutorial might work.  But I really don't know.  From my reading on this site, some avoid the spinning reels because of problems like yours.  Hopefully, somebody with real "reel" knowledge will respond and give you a better answer. Good Luck,
TomT

Captain64-200

Quote from: Windsurfrgal on October 01, 2013, 02:48:35 AM
I have inherited a Garcia Mitchell 306 from my Dad. I am new to fishing and wanted to clean and lube the reel.  I downloaded the instruction manual and schematics and took it apart. Unfortunately I can't get it back together.  The diagrams in the old manual are almost impossible to see the technique for some reassembly is a mystery. I think I must have a spring wrong somewhere.
I also ended up with a very tiny pin that is not anywhere in the directions. I don't know where it popped off of. I have searched You Tube and various parts sites but can't find anywhere that has an assembly video for this reel. Does anyone know where I could get either a video or diagrams for reassembly? 

Thanks!

Plenty of vids on YT : for example this one:         spinning reels look simple ,but sometime the're not so ... ;D
Fred from Biarritz ,

thorhammer

If you get stuck, post pics and someone (Fred or Tommy lol) will be along. The Mitchell has a tiny keyway pin that is a bit of a PITA. But we'll get you back together. i have several of the 306's; the 307 was my granddad's favorite for the surf and pier.

Midway Tommy

I'll probably defer to Fred since he is way more versed on Mitchells than I am, but photos of where you are at and where the problem lies is imperative for an accurate diagnosis &  fix.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

The main gear has to go in first before the pinion gear. That night be your problem.

Ill pull one down today and take some pictures.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

What Thorhammer said, about the tiny pin. The schematics for these reels leave alot to be desired. I had onea these once, and I vaguely remember that pin. It may go into the top of the gear box body, underneath the rotor...?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

I'll be posting pictures in 10 minutes.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

More...
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Last one. These are very simple except for the fact if you lose the the pinion key it can't be put back together.

Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

And if anyone needs crisp, clear schematics -- some of my vintage shop manuals from 30 or 40 years ago -- have very clear depictions.

And I can enlarge any part in question up to 22 times for a photo.

I have shop manuals for most brands from the 50's through late 90's.  All organized and easily to access.

The 306, IMO -- is possibly the second easiest Mitchell to work on.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Excellent handi2 n' Fred! Thanks for clarifying that one.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: foakes on December 24, 2017, 06:53:28 PM
The 306, IMO -- is possibly the second easiest Mitchell to work on.

Best,
Fred
I've never seen a 306, let alone work on one, but the innards look similar to my 308.

BTW, Fred, which do you consider the easiest Mitchell to work on? IMO is the 300.

Swami805

Wow, very good information, makes me almost want to get one. Did anyone notice the post was from 2013? I wonder if she's still checking the board for an answer?
Do what you can with that you have where you are