ROD RECOMMENDATION

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, October 07, 2013, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

bottom fishing for my penn 3/0 (30lb) and 4/0 (40lb). thanks!

saltydog

Most of the bottom fishing I did on my charter boat in south FLA.  we used a 7' 30 to 50# rated solid fiberglass rods. Most of that was for bottom grinding snapper and grouper in 30 to 150' of water with Penn jigmaster 500 and 30 to 50# mono.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

saltydog

I really believe that a solid glass rod our performs the hollow glass and carbon fiber rods because of the way the rod spreads the load through the entire rod than on certain areas. I have broke many a hollow rod while grouper fishing trying to get a groupers mad dash to the hole stopped but never broke a solid rod. Don't get me wrong I use all kinds of rods but for grouper solid glass is really the best way, now that is an opinion I built over years of grouper grinding with over 200 days a year fishing with them. Never broke a rod but did see alot of customer rods blow up.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Newell Nut

E Glass works very well for me and less fragile to impact than composites. I was testing my 631 newell yesterday and a Saber Stroker E-glass and barely got a 40 lb dumbbell off the ground and if I fished with my drag that tight I think I would break before the rod. 40-80 class

doradoben

Mel.. How deep do you fish and what species?

otownjoe

Mel, my favorite bottom fishing rods a calstar grafighter 700xh for heavy line and a grafighter 800-ml for lighter line.I really like the way the rods with a fast tip and plenty of backbone help work the fish.I've fished parabolic glass rods all my life and have only discovered calstars and seekers since i started long range fishing. I never use my parbolic rods anymore.while the glass rods may be more durable the light weight of the newer rods is definitely a plus when your standing there holding a rod all day.I fish a Newell 631 on my 700 xh.its amazing how light and powerful that combo is. Also i findthe graphite to help feel the bite on snappers. Where you fish and what you fish for will make abig difference but that's what I likeJoe

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure what you guys mean when you say all glass rods are more parabolic.

The way I see the term "parabolic" when describing fishing rods is that the rod/blank bends more through the entire blank making the rod more parabolic. For me most if not all glass rods shut off faster and do not bend as far into the butt section of the rod, making all glass rods less parabolic than composite rods. Composite rods bend more through the length of the rod, some all the way, making them more parabolic. This bending deeper into the blank gives that more comfortable feeling while fighting fish with composite rods. Composite rods transition from graphite, starting at the butt, to glass at the tip. Using the graphite on the butt section makes these rods weigh less in over all weight and in turn allows the butt section more flex.

doradoben

SoCal.. I think otownjoe is talking about the same kind of rods as Salty. They are solid glass, not hollow. Kind of like an old Senator Rod or Long Beach Rod. They will bend almost into a "U" and probably not break. But they are worlds apart from a Calstar, Seeker, Saber or Fenwick for sensitivity.

SoCalAngler

I live in Southern California so its Calstar for me but the Seeker line is more extensive and very nice also. A Calstar glass rod for 30-40lb test would be a 670 and a composite would be a 700M. In the seekers look at 6470 models. I recommened rods designed to fish 40 lb line and will work for 30 also. I myself use one rod model for 30 and another for 40. Here in California you can no longer fish real deep for rockfish and I never go over 30 lb toppers and mostly fish 20lb for them but on long range trips you will want the heavier setups for sure.

Edit: You already have a 700ML thats a great 30lb test rod.

Bunnlevel Sharker

A solid glass, rebuilt ugly stick blank
Grayson Lanier

shanara

Calstar Grafighters have a carbon butt section because its light, stiff and strong. Weight for weight carbon fiber is much stronger and stiffer than glass. generally the more carbon in a composite the stronger and stiffer it will be.

Grafighters have composite or glass tips for softer tip actions. there are models for all aplications, maybe the best ever

Hollow glass rods are heavier but have excellent resistance to abuse/shocks and knocks

Solid glass rods are VERY HEAVY (and of course even more resistant to abuse/shocks/knocks/explosions etc )

Regards Gary

Ron Jones

I've used solid glass rods on party boats for years. They catch fish just like anything else. I can't cast them as far as my graphfighter and my All-Stars are more sensitive, but they are cheap and strong and get the job done. A new white 50# Shakesphere is $35.00 local, thinking of getting one for off the rocks.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have a solid glass tide water 30-80 tat I have had slammed on the rail and the fish picked me up, its still runnin strong today. Ima re rap it and get FISH KILLER put on it. Caught my first big shark and ray on it
Grayson Lanier

jonathan.han

For local CA groundfish like rockfish and lingcod, anything that can run 25-30lb. gear is fine. Add yellowtail and you want to go up to 40-50, if they're big. A Seeker 270 or 270H, 670, a Calstar 270, 700M, 700ML, a Shimano Trevala 66M, 66MH, 62M, 62MH, will work fine for you. The Calstars/Seekers are better for all around including tuna/yellowtail/white seabass and the Trevalas are better for rockfish/lingcod and I like them for white seabass as they absorb their long headshakes better. The trevalas are definitely better for rockfishing. All purpose and up to 50/60 class tuna, go with a Calstar/Seeker.
raw instinct

Newell Nut

Love the Calstar 800M and 700m and today tested a Seeker Hercules in 50 to 100 lb class bottom fishing and it was awesome and very light just like the Calstar but smaller OD.