Reel Similarity

Started by Tommy_Tuna, April 01, 2010, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Tuna

Aren't most similar reels basically identical in structure? In other words, if I were to learn how to rebuild a Saltiga, would the concepts transmit to Baja Special? If I were to learn to rebuild a VSX, would I also know how to rebuild a VSW?

Thanks,

Tom

Irish Jigger

Reel innards vary quite a bit from make to make.  Take a look at Alan's Tutorials for the Saltiga and Baja Special. This should indicate some of the basic differences in reel design and construction. Try stripping and rebuilding your favourite multiplier and before long you will tackle almost anything.

kamuwela

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 01, 2010, 08:15:47 PM
Reel innards vary quite a bit from make to make.  Take a look at Alan's Tutorials for the Saltiga and Baja Special. This should indicate some of the basic differences in reel design and construction. Try stripping and rebuilding your favourite multiplier and before long you will tackle almost anything.
if you can do a vsw then you can do a vsx look at my tutoriols ive done  a few penns and 2 shimanos just keep everything lined up as you remove it you shuld be fine. lay everything out on a towel good luck

Roger

If I'm thinking right which I never know these days, Alan has a thread on here about the similarities of baitcasters or conventionals. I'm thinking it was shimano, ABU, Newell and Penn. If you dig into the lever drags you'll find the same similarities there with a few differences. Like Kamu said keep everthing lined up as you take it apart and even take pictures before and after. good Luck....
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

the saying goes, "there is no honor among thieves."  everyone copies everyone else.  after a while, they will all start looking alike.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

Roger, I think this is the post you're referring to.

QuoteHonestly, if you can fix this reel, then you can fix anything. There are four different styles of reel design. The first is the Penn Senator style. This post will help you master this most common of American fishing reels. The second is the Newell style, seen in many of the Japanese reels as well. A piece of cake compared to the Penn senator. The third is the Chinese style, seen in the Shakespeare reels and many other Chinese knockoffs. I've never done a post on one of these and really should. World wide, they are the most common reel design. And lastly is the lever drag. There are a few small differences, but if you can fix one, you can fix them all.

That's from the Senator 111 rebuild thread.

Evan

Tommy_Tuna

Alan,

Have you thought about writing a book on basic reel repair & maintenance? Seems as though you already have much material. I have searched the 'net to no avail.

Thanks,

Tom

Walter_Lars

Quote from: alantani on April 02, 2010, 03:29:18 AM
the saying goes, "there is no honor among thieves."  everyone copies everyone else.  after a while, they will all start looking alike.  alan

a old saying from the aero-space industry
"if you steal from one its plagiarism it you steal from many its research  "