Charter Special Bearings

Started by callelk, April 06, 2010, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callelk

Alan,

Great site you have here and it has helped me get my old Penn's back in order.  I am very fond of my Squidders considering the new stuff and their prices.

I have a Charter Special 1000 that I let my dad borrow (for the last 16 years) for Sturgeon fishing on the delta and bay.   Needless to say, it is a little dirty so I went to your tutorial and took the reel apart for a through cleaning and lube.  I did not remove the bearings but I know at least one needs to be replaced.

I purchase regularly from Bocca Bearings for other projects and was wondering if you know the bearing sizes for this reel.  I travel for my job and I don't want to tear the reel apart and let it set for weeks in pieces as small parts tend to grow legs.

Any help would be appreciated.

akfish

It may be easiest for you to get bearings from Smooth Drag. They have bearing kits for Charter Specials and they'll sell you single bearings as well. If you look at their site, they give the dimensions of the various bearings for theCharter Special. Look under Retail prices and scroll down.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

callelk

Thank you, I did not think of them selling bearings.  I need to call them as it is for an updated drag washer so all will work out.