Looking for a particular rod blank.

Started by Dynamo, October 18, 2013, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Alright, im looking for a rod blank for a custom build. Are there any which fit my specifications? Here they are:     7'6 to 8 feet and up, if possible. Something in the 40-100 or 50-80 class range. It needs to be light but strong, it's for a an Avet 30w. (went down from the 50w cause I already have a 12/0, 30 will be more fun to cast and stuff.) I'd like a tip size as small as 12/64 to around 16. 14 to 16 would be preferred. I'd like a fairly sensitive tip but I want the whole rod to bend. It needs to be fun for as low as 20 pounds of drag but needs to have a lot of power for 35. The butt must not be too thick, and I'd rather not have graphite. Note: I might go down to as low as 6 feet if all of the other specs fit well, long length is for the pier and casting. I'd like the blank to not be too expensive as well. Maybe as high as 120 if possible. (might go higher.) thanks, hope you guys can help me! Cheers.

floating doc

Central Florida

Dynamo

Newell Nut

Look up Witch Doctor Tackle. He just built my very light Seeker Hercules that is 50 to 100 class that I used to lift a 40 lb dumbbell. The Hercules are also very small diameter that I like and keeps the reel seat from getting too big.
He sells components and has a large stock of Hercules blanks.
HIs name is Adam Treischmann.

Dynamo

I looked at them and I think they look nice, but they're a little too thin for me I'm afraid. Maybe for something like an LX raptor down the road. . . . .

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have a 5'8" gator glass blank that would be perfect for a 30, I was gonna use it but limited funds. Not sure if you would want it or not, I payed 50 or so with shipping you pay the same to me and it's yours
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Thanks, looking for something longer for casting though.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Find an old harnell or a stump heaver blank, those are the best bets for casting
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Find an old harnell

That was my original plan, but lately I haven't been able to find any, even for outrageous prices :-\.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Look into a stump heavier then, they can stand up to a locked down 30 no problem
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Bunnlevel Sharker

There pretty similar to an old harnell, just a extremely stiff casting blank. Usually 8-10ft long, and tough enough to "heave a stump" hence the name
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

I see, could you tell me some model numbers?

Tile

Try finding a solid fiberglass blank for your application. Even at a smaller diameter they have plenty of stopping power and can be used to cast to a reasonable distance.
In solid fiberglass we trust