Evolution of the spin reel

Started by basto, October 22, 2013, 09:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

Can't beat a baitrunner spinner for stray-lining.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

Congratulations Alan!  Nice fish.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Boss,
Is that a Cedros 80 on your rod?
Chris

betterlate

Nice fish Alan, looks like a Cobia (Ling)? We caught one about 35" long offshore in June, a few inches short and a fraction of that size.  8)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi guys,

Personally, each type has its place, though we have seen a lot of developments and improvements in fixed spool reels over the last 10 years or so. This development has brought them up to a similar power and performance level as multipliers, so at this point drag and gear strengths are about equal, though there are obvious still variations on quality between various manufacturers.

From our 'long distance surf' application fixed spool reels do offer one advantage over multipliers, in that they can cast braid – and folks are now finding that the advantage of braid is significant in certain applications – but not all. Braid doesn't do well in weedy conditions, and that's when we see folks immediately switch back to nylon, as it seems not to attract so much weed on the line.

The other issues with fixed spool reels for surf casting is the strength of the drive shaft, in reels that have spool shapes designed for long distance casting. Conventional boat shaped spools with a deep and shallow profile are very limiting in the distance that can be achieved, and while these are designed for heavy drag pressures and have the appropriate strength shafts, they are lousy for big distance.

Getting reels with the right shaped spools – tall and shallow isn't really a problem as more manufacturers are making these now, the issue of shaft strength is serious when you start to use braids heavier than 30lbs, as the higher pressure just bends the drive shaft.

In our situation, we just can't seem to get to the point where the fixed spool reels are able to cover all the benefits of a multiplier. And something that is quite difficult to put a value on, is the pure pleasure experienced when launching a sinker beyond 160 metres with a multiplier. This is something intangible, almost purist – a bit like successfully presenting a dry fly to a rising Brown Trout, and then landing it on a wand of a fly rod. Sure the same trout could be caught with a small spinner – but there is a purist pleasure factor.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jeri on August 20, 2014, 07:28:21 AM
Hi guys,

Personally, each type has its place, though we have seen a lot of developments and improvements in fixed spool reels over the last 10 years or so. This development has brought them up to a similar power and performance level as multipliers, so at this point drag and gear strengths are about equal, though there are obvious still variations on quality between various manufacturers.

From our 'long distance surf' application fixed spool reels do offer one advantage over multipliers, in that they can cast braid – and folks are now finding that the advantage of braid is significant in certain applications – but not all. Braid doesn't do well in weedy conditions, and that's when we see folks immediately switch back to nylon, as it seems not to attract so much weed on the line.

The other issues with fixed spool reels for surf casting is the strength of the drive shaft, in reels that have spool shapes designed for long distance casting. Conventional boat shaped spools with a deep and shallow profile are very limiting in the distance that can be achieved, and while these are designed for heavy drag pressures and have the appropriate strength shafts, they are lousy for big distance.

Getting reels with the right shaped spools – tall and shallow isn't really a problem as more manufacturers are making these now, the issue of shaft strength is serious when you start to use braids heavier than 30lbs, as the higher pressure just bends the drive shaft.

In our situation, we just can't seem to get to the point where the fixed spool reels are able to cover all the benefits of a multiplier. And something that is quite difficult to put a value on, is the pure pleasure experienced when launching a sinker beyond 160 metres with a multiplier. This is something intangible, almost purist – a bit like successfully presenting a dry fly to a rising Brown Trout, and then landing it on a wand of a fly rod. Sure the same trout could be caught with a small spinner – but there is a purist pleasure factor.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Some excellent points Jeri and the use of Braid key among them.

Small "baitcasters" ie the small bass reels with levelwind mechanisms are being used more and more with straight braid, but they have their limitations for pure distance or live bait fishing. Terrific for fishing artificial lures though.

Spinners also excel in straight braid casting and casting of anything particularly light.

Straight mono still has it's place as well.

Anyways, the point is "the tool for the job" whatever you decide that is and that job being chiefly "your own fun" so fish what makes it fun for your fishing.

I only resist those that dogmatically push people to fish their way and put down those that won't. Encouraging people to fish is part of what we do when we teach them how to keep their gear in order.

basto

Well, my wife and I finally went on that trip, but because the rail on our boat is relatively high, we both returned to our conventionals after only a couple of hours with the spinners on the first day.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

sharkman

Personally, I do a lot of inshore fishing where I use spinning reels exclusively. Then on the occasion when I go deep sea it presents a learning curve for left arm. So spinning reels just seem more natural. Todays big spinners produce tremendous amounts of drag. The largest fish I have landed with a spinner was a 8 ft hammerhead shark from the beach. The spinning reel made easy work of the shark. The reel used was a penn spinfisher 10500 with 100lb braid.

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 16, 2014, 12:52:38 AM
Basto, that 100 looks nice on the inside, almost as nice as my SS models, I'm tempted ;D . I'm wondering how Fin-Nor managed to do that, the reel is dirt cheap for having those features  :-\.  Good luck on your trip, let us know how it holds up.

Sal when they first came out I bought a couple of them for us to use. After a pre service someone would see them in the shop and buy them. I went through 7 reels before I could keep one for myself.

They do work as advertised.

The Okuma Cedros 65 and 80 are also very good for casting and jigging from the boat. Their not as heavy.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on December 11, 2015, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 16, 2014, 12:52:38 AM
Basto, that 100 looks nice on the inside, almost as nice as my SS models, I'm tempted ;D . I'm wondering how Fin-Nor managed to do that, the reel is dirt cheap for having those features  :-\.  Good luck on your trip, let us know how it holds up.

Sal when they first came out I bought a couple of them for us to use. After a pre service someone would see them in the shop and buy them. I went through 7 reels before I could keep one for myself.

They do work as advertised.

The Okuma Cedros 65 and 80 are also very good for casting and jigging from the boat. Their not as heavy.
Thanks Keith, good to know.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.