DAIWA G4000 TEFLON DRAGS?

Started by LTM, October 23, 2013, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hello all,

Looking to upgrade drags in my old Daiwa g4000 spinner. The spinner has 2 bb's in the spool with a massave thick spring between the two bb that loads the drag system in this front drag design.  There's a smaller felt washer in a recess in the spool and a large white teflon drag washer that goes against a large metal washer on the  bottom of the spool.  Im not familiar with Teflon disc used as a drag material. Will replacing the drags with CF drags be better than using the felt/Teflon drags?

Leo

alantani

always go with greased carbon fiber!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

OhReely

I realize this is a really old post but I would like to talk with the originator or anyone else familiar with this reel (Daiwa G4000 Power Disc spinning reel) or the Daiwa BW4000 spinning reel.
Thx

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

OhReely

Thanks Alan. I already replaced the oiled felt drag washer with a CF. I just wanted to find out if he knew when they were made, how he was using it, how it held up under his useage.

It came in a bundle of 8 reels and a dozen rods for $100 that the guy would not split up. There were only three reels I wanted. Penns - 49, 309, 712Z. All fresh water reels - I love finding them. Everything was filthy, only the Penns functioned. I was on the verge of tossing everything else but this Daiwa G4000, graphite body and rotor, gold alum spool, resembled a second/third gen Spinfisher so I decided to clean it up. There is nothing on the web that I could find other than it shares the body with the BW4000. So it's all cleaned, lubed, looking good. Pinion bearing is rough and it's $9, already put a $5 Smooth Drag washer in it. Not sure I want to spend any more on a reel I'll never use that I can't sell for what I have into it. It has a slammer type drag with one 30mmx13mmx1mm CF and one 31mmx9mmx1mm teflon riding against SS metals. The spool is alum, upper and lower shielded ball bearings, 250/15# capacity. Now if I could use it for carp or catfishing instead of my SW tackle........?

When I finally got the bundle untangled, unseen in the middle was an Ambassadeur 5600C. It's bound up of course. I've never seen anyone fishing an Ambassadeur of any size. What is this one for?